2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

thinking of what car to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Default thinking of what car to buy

I'm trying to decide what car to buy next.. I always liked the GS-T/GS-X since high school.

Could anyone tell me some pros and cons to turbo eclipse ownership?
Are there any reliability/longevity issues etc I should be aware of before making my final decision?

thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

I personally would go w/ a 97-99 gsx. Its fast, great in snow and makes a good dd. Downside not many people take car of their dsm's and they break down.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 PM

the 2nd gens are known to have crankwalk when u get into the higher hp. some people have it some people go crazy and never get it.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:16 AM

Every car has its pros and cons. I agree with dsm1990... unless you can find one that was driven by an old person... it most likely has been beat on. If you find a nice one (definitely go with a GSX) take it to a shop you can trust. Most shops will do a courtesy inspection on used cars. Thats what I did when I bought my gsx and that way i knew exactly what was good and what needed to be replaced.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM

nice thx for the info guys!

anything specific to look for when inspecting the car?

I usually always check the compression and I know how to look at the body lines etc.. but is there anything mechanical to look at specifically? Something that will be a tell tale sign that the car has been abused?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM

I would say that if the car has upgrades such as a bigger turbo blah blah, make sure it has the proper monitoring equiptment such as gauges, afc, logger of some kind along with the proper fuel system upgrades.

I recently made the worst financial decision of my life by getting a 95 gst that was abused. Drove it 3 weeks before I spun a bearing. 3 grand down the toilet.

Check and double check everything.

AND CARFAX IT!

Old 08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure the trans shifts smoothly, ask for any service records aka timing/balance shaft belts, no egnine noise and strut tower rust.

Also do a search on crank walk just so you get familiar w/ it, it usally happens on earlier 2g's and can be picked up just by driving the car on a road test.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:26 PM

cool thanks guys

Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Buy a CHEAP used Hyndai and buy the performance parts from Road Race Motorsport.
Make it a sleeper and beat a Lamborghini.

Turbo is for sissy people put turbo on their cars because they have nothing else to make their car go faster with conventional performance parts but they can actually do it and turbo is their last resort.

Will you enjoy a the full performance of a turbo on the Interstate? I don't think so
before you can do that your car will be towed a by a State Police.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BEAT
Buy a CHEAP used Hyndai and buy the performance parts from Road Race Motorsport.
Make it a sleeper and beat a Lamborghini.

Turbo is for sissy people put turbo on their cars because they have nothing else to make their car go faster with conventional performance parts but they can actually do it and turbo is their last resort.

Will you enjoy a the full performance of a turbo on the Interstate? I don't think so
before you can do that your car will be towed a by a State Police.
Please tell me your joking? Well I guess I'm a sissy for driving a slow turbo'd car.

Last edited by dsm1990gsx; 08-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: thinking of what car to buy