2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Tickling 98 GS-T w/autotranny at idle when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Default Tickling 98 GS-T w/autotranny at idle when cold

I got a 98 Eclipse GS-T autotranny where the previous owner changed the turbo 6-12 months ago. The new turbo is the original make and seems to work fine. One of my O2 sensors are also ready for replacement (CEL is on due to this sensor), and I'm waiting for this part to arrive.

I have a problem with tickling in my engine somewhere when the car is started at idle in cold weather around freezing limit.. It dont sound like valve tickling as I know that sound from my previous car (lol).. it sounds like its coming from below the turbo or the bottom side of the engine.. the sound is not whining nor going at a steady phase, its just tickling until the engine is warmed up.. when i drive it for 10-20 minutes and park it, the sound is totally gone.. it only happens on cold start, when it has rested more than 6-12 hours..

(I've read almost everything i could find about crankwalk, and heard a soundrecord of it.. defintily not the same sound, and i dont think this is the problem)

Anyone got a clue what this could be? Can it be because of the car running rich in idle because of the O2 sensor?

-------------------

Dixxy, Norway..

Old 01-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Tickling 98 GS-T w/autotranny at idle when cold

what weight oil you run?

Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

Yes like what get435 is getting at try running a 5w30 or even lighter for the winter. Then in the spring got back to the 10w40 or what ever your running now. I had a similar problem on my 91 GSX, and doing that fixed the problem.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Right now im running on 5w 40, and the oil looks good when i check the dipstick.. i wonder if maybe my dipstick have been replaced sometime previous, because when i bought the car, the dipstick had a new level branded/scratched way above the original high/low indicator and the oil level was that high, right on this new indicatormark.. if i fill to this new level, it will fill approximately 4,8 litres of oil.. maybe this has something to do with the problem also?

How many ltrs should this engine normally have?

Any other suggestions than oil?

--------------

Dixxy, Norway..

Old 01-31-2006, 09:38 AM

5 Qrts for a turbo car 4.5 qrts for a non-turbo.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 AM

That is about 4,7 litres, so i think i got the correct ammount of oil at least..

Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

what type of oil do you use (brand)

Old 02-04-2006, 09:39 PM

It's a high quality Norwegian brand. You wont recognice it anyway. And I doubt changing brand will help this sound go away.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:02 PM

Today I had my uncle listening to the sound when the car was started for the first time this day, he is a mechanic and he said it sounded like one of the cylinders might have a problem, or maybe some problems with the lifters.

Later this day I then took up all the spark plugs, those looked new, but had some soot/carbon on them. All four in the same condition. This was easily scratched away with my nails..this carbon could be built up for about 4-6 months, I have seen worse..

I also took of my timingbelt cover to check my belt, and it also looked good.. the only problem I have is the charger belt whining from time to time (Im going to tighten this one firstly and then change it when parts arrive)..

--------

Dixxy, Norway..

Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

I remember that my talon used to always do that, and it got louder as i put more miles on the oil change. Then went away. I owned the car for 2-1/2 years and never did anything with it or had a problem. So i don't know that it would be anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Tickling 98 GS-T w/autotranny at idle when cold