2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

turbo problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Default turbo problem

ok so about 3 months ago i was talking to you guys about my car leaking oil. so i found out the head gasket was getting readdy to go so i decided to replace it (after getting a $700.00 quote) so i figured i can do it myself so i ordered all of the parts(head gasket set, new water pump, timing belt kit, exhaust manifold-old one was cracked) so we put all of this stuff on and now in order to get my turbo to blow of or even run i need to get it into high rpms 4000 plus do u guys think that this is because turbo gasket (the one from the exhaust manifold to the turbo) because that is all i can figure out- its not timing she is running great. or could it be the turbo has gone bad. what ever it is i would really like to know i am so tired of working on this thing i just went out and bought a wrangler so i had somthing to drive while my gst is out of commision

thanks for any info you guys can give me

Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Default RE: turbo problem

Wow, thats wierd.. Do you get full boost at 4000 rpms? Or is it just boosting a little? If your just getting a little boost, then you prolly have a vacume line hooked up in a wrong spot, or a bad boost leak..

Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 PM

i only got it to blow off once at 4000 rpms i really wasnt looking at the boost but it was enough to get it to blow off, when it blew off it sounded like normal (i Think)

Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 PM

you might want to check your timing too. If you didn't line up your timing marks correctly it will through off the rate the valves will open and close and thus cut down how fast the turbo can spool. My buddy had the same problem and after checking to timing marks on the cam gears, he was a tooth off. We adjusted it and the problem was fixed.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM

yea except for the fact that the car is idealing perfectally i mean perfect very slight movement in rpms much better then b4 i changed everything

Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Is the exhaust manifold gasket new or re-used. Because it sounds like a leak somewhere.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM

it was reused and i had to take off the mainfold a few times but i replaced that gasket twice because it stuck to the cracked one when i took it off. u guys think that would cause the pressure to not build up in the turbo?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

i cant really see it causing that big of a problem though. Because its not gonna leak enough. Does it feel like your car is not boosting at all until 4000 rpms. Not talking about the BOV. Just going by how it feels. Because if its not you probably have a boost leak. I would check the connections for the intake and IC pipes. Make sure everything is hooked back up correctly.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM

i did i guess i will try resetting the timing because other then that i dont know what would work

Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM

idling has nothing to do with it. My buddy had a great idle. His turbo just didn;t spool like it was supposed to. Since his timing was off we had to fix it anyway and it actually fixed his boost issues (exactly like you are having). That is the only thing we did. We didn't fix the vacuum lines or anything, and that fixed the problems he was having. So, like you said, it may be just your timing. good luck brother. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. we'll help you as much as we can.

Quick Reply: turbo problem