2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Valve Cover Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Default Valve Cover Paint

What do you guys think would be the best way to paint just the letters(16 Valve and DOHC 200) on the cover black? Also would I need to use a high temp paint, a normal paint or what would you recommend? Here is a before PICTURE
~*FINISHED*~
Well I finally got it done, I used a small paintbrush and it took me only about an hour and fifteen minutes. Pics of it on the engine will come later this weekend. I think it turned out real nice though, here is the PICTURE

Old 02-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Default RE: Valve Cover Paint

ya, you deffinately need a high temp paint.. You can get some from a autozone or weaver.. I cant remember the brand that they carry but they will have some different types/brands that you could use.. Post some pics on how it turns out..

Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 PM

you should use high heat paint so it doesnt crack on you and make a stensil of your head and use that to paint just the letters and not the cover
but thats the simple way to do it and its relatively failproofas long as the stensil is snug around the letters so no paint gets on the parts you dont want to paint

Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: natewesselink

you should use high heat paint so it doesnt crack on you and make a stensil of your head and use that to paint just the letters and not the cover
but thats the simple way to do it and its relatively failproofas long as the stensil is snug around the letters so no paint gets on the parts you dont want to paint
I was actually thinking of using a small 1 inch wide paint roller and rolling it on, if i could find high temp paint in a can of course. Stencil might be kinda hard...i will post pics for sure when its done. And Advocate are you going up to the Dells for the car show in May?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 AM

you could also use a small art paint brush, i havnt tried it my self but my friend did and it worked fine with his car. he did the bottom main color then just sanded the paint off of the top of the letters

Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

i say get it power coated. It will be a bit more but the quality will be ten times better

Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 AM

Yeah i've seen them powder coating and they look way awesome than the aerosol paint

Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 AM

if you do it yourself, then to mask it off, just take a few strips of 2inch masking tape and put it over the letters, then use an exacto knife with a new blade and go around the letters, you should be able to see a faint outline of the letters through the tape

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM

the cover is already powdered. they said that it wouldnt turn out good if they tried to do the letters black and i should just do it myself.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 AM

well i used the ENGINE ENAMEL paint and it worked great its good for 500 degrees. i did like ESTRAW said with the masking tape and a razor knife

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Paint