2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Venting to the atmosphere

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Default Venting to the atmosphere

I heard that it doesn't mess up anything if you vent to the atmosphere with out a new maf I was talking to a guy and he did it to all three of his cars and had no problems that most people say they have experienced with dsms. I am thinking of trying this, but if anything does get messed up what would I have to do to solve the problem would I just have to put the dump tube back on?

Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Default RE: Venting to the atmosphere

I've read some stuff where people have done that for a period of time and had the diaphram rip in the BOV but like you I've also heard people say there's nothing wrong with it. When I put mine in I hooked up the tube that goes back to just behind the mass air just to be safe. There's no real reason not to vent back to the intake unless you want the noise, but mine has a good sound to it even with everything hooked up.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:05 AM

So will it cause your car to run a lot richer and what problems would this cause?

Old 03-17-2005, 03:39 AM

Wait, I'm lost, what would cause it to run richer?

Old 03-20-2005, 11:53 PM

I just installed GReddy i/c piping, and a GReddy type RS bov; its venting into the atmosphere and the car is running lean. This causes my car to shut off shifting from a higghe range r.p.m 4500-... Im going to get my car dyno'ed and see if the guy can tune it to change it, otherwise im gonna have to buy a recirculating tube. A car running lean can cause a hole in a piston, youll need a new motor...

Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 AM

On some Eclipses it will mess with things. The reason why is because the MAS is expecting all this air to come back after the "blow off" well when you vent to the atmosphere all that air is gone and the MAS is wondering where in the hell it all went, so to compensate it will cut the ammount of fuel going to the engine drasticlly causing you to stall. You can solve this by replacing the MAS with a GM unit, and some other minor tweaking.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 AM

do you have a stock or after market bov? if you have stock-dont do it period, your car will not run right it'll stall because the bov leaks at idle. if you have an aftermarket bov that the idle is adjusted properly, you can do it your car will jus run rich between shifts because the excess air that was blown out was read by the mas so the engine sends in extra fuel thinking it needs. doin that will not harm your engine, but long term it can damage your o2 sensors (excess carbon buildup from all the rich fuel burned) and when the 02 sensors go out it can mess up your engines fuel curve. i kno you guys all love the bov sound, but if you want to be as fast as possible and have your engine run good dont do it, the return tube is there for a reason.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:44 PM

I did it and nothing has happend, my friend has done it and a few other ppl I know and nothing has happend, so I think its just one of those myths that ppl talk about just like crank walk.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 PM

heh um its not a myth, most likely it wont do any damage but it does run rich any air fueldevice can tell you that. crankwalk a myth?? ive had it twice...... wish it was a myth

Old 03-23-2005, 03:16 PM

O, all the people I know which is like 10 and a lot more ppl that my friends know have never had it. and all my friends have 97's.

Quick Reply: Venting to the atmosphere