Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   What to do????? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/what-do-10707/)

slow420a 05-20-2006 12:15 PM

RE: What to do?????

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

silver eclipse to get the biggest gains with a smaller budget you can stroke out the engine, but thats about it. you can do other things to get small increases like catback, intake etc. but stroking, turboing, and supercharging are really the only things you can do to make a HUGE increase. stroking is the cheapest. then turboing because you basically have to stroke your engine before you can force induct the 420a w/o shootin a rod through the engine. then supercharing, the only reason supercharing is so much more expensive is b/c there are such limitations in kits for the 420a the cheapest/only one i've found was 5k by itself. add that to the bottom end rebuild you've spent well over 6500.
a stage one turbo kit at 5 psi is going to be much faster then a stroker kit will evergive you and its much cheaper if you make your own

Stroking the motor is putting smaller rods in the block to increase the size of the stroke giving the motor more displacment. You dont have to stroke a motor to turbo it.

to get more throttle rospons get a ZAP motor sports 60mm throttle body, to get more power from the bottom end get an intake. A larger exaust will increase your top end but if your concerned with tq numbers get a stock gst exaust, that will give you a decent hp gain and keep the back pressure up

Boring the motor over wont give you any hp, getting the head milled or getting high compression pistons will. boring the motor over is to clean the cylander walls of nicks.

No one right now makes a supercharger kit for the 420a, many have tryed and only a few have ever worked. Generally speaking for a supercharger setup to produce any signifigant gain you need power to make power and the 420a dosent qualify for that.

simple gains can be made for decent prices but the only big gain is from a turbo kit which costs alot more money then a simple intake but if your a diy type person and piece the kit togather your self you can keep the cost fairly low.

Lastly the 420a and 4g63 can be swaped but with the money it would cost to swap your car you could sell your car and with the combine money buy a 99 gsx in nice condition.

slvr_eclipse 05-20-2006 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

silver eclipse to get the biggest gains with a smaller budget you can stroke out the engine, but thats about it. you can do other things to get small increases like catback, intake etc. but stroking, turboing, and supercharging are really the only things you can do to make a HUGE increase. stroking is the cheapest. then turboing because you basically have to stroke your engine before you can force induct the 420a w/o shootin a rod through the engine. then supercharing, the only reason supercharing is so much more expensive is b/c there are such limitations in kits for the 420a the cheapest/only one i've found was 5k by itself. add that to the bottom end rebuild you've spent well over 6500.
a stage one turbo kit at 5 psi is going to be much faster then a stroker kit will evergive you and its much cheaper if you make your own

Stroking the motor is putting smaller rods in the block to increase the size of the stroke giving the motor more displacment. You dont have to stroke a motor to turbo it.

to get more throttle rospons get a ZAP motor sports 60mm throttle body, to get more power from the bottom end get an intake. A larger exaust will increase your top end but if your concerned with tq numbers get a stock gst exaust, that will give you a decent hp gain and keep the back pressure up

Boring the motor over wont give you any hp, getting the head milled or getting high compression pistons will. boring the motor over is to clean the cylander walls of nicks.

No one right now makes a supercharger kit for the 420a, many have tryed and only a few have ever worked. Generally speaking for a supercharger setup to produce any signifigant gain you need power to make power and the 420a dosent qualify for that.

simple gains can be made for decent prices but the only big gain is from a turbo kit which costs alot more money then a simple intake but if your a diy type person and piece the kit togather your self you can keep the cost fairly low.

Lastly the 420a and 4g63 can be swaped but with the money it would cost to swap your car you could sell your car and with the combine money buy a 99 gsx in nice condition.
Im definetly the diy kinda guy. Where do I find out how to peice a turbo kit together for fairly low $? what could I use off of junk yard cars besides exhaust? Is it worth turboing a car with 95k miles one it? or should I see if I can find a junk yard motor and slowly build it up??? that has been a thought of mine for a while now...I just dont know what to do to it or put a HUGE amount of money into it either.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. This is pretty much my first time doing anything like this to a car beside intake and exhaust.

Also, where can I find this stuff on the net that are cheap but not cheap quality parts? (coilovers, exhaust, gauges, etc. etc.)

slow420a 05-20-2006 01:22 PM

pm sent.