Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   What do you recommend to do first on a GST? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/what-do-you-recommend-do-first-gst-9246/)

agallardo 03-21-2006 09:56 PM

What do you recommend to do first on a GST?

Hello again, I have a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST. I have not done anything to it yet. I obviously have a upgraded BOV because I broke the tip of the stock BOV (bypass). I was wandering what you recommend i should do first? I dont want looks/ exterior. I want speed. What do you recommend? I also have one question, how do you know when your turbo is about to go? I have about 120,000 miles on the stock turbo and it seems to NOT be spooling after 4,500 rpm. Do you think its the turbo? What turbo do you recommend?

EMonz57 03-21-2006 10:00 PM

RE: What do you recommend to do first on a GST?

how is it not spooling? it should hit full bost at 3000 or so and stay there. if it is dead or going you will know youll here death whine.

as for the mods I would do a search around this same topic has been disscussed 42342532346546 times lol. just search threw the eclipse section and you will find a bunch of ideas

TheAdvocate 03-21-2006 10:04 PM

Its prolly still spooling, You just wont feel a lot of pull after a certain point with the T25...

If you want to feel a continuous pull you need to work on upgrading things so you can upgrade your turbo.

agallardo 03-21-2006 10:07 PM

Well it does spool-up like around 3,000 rpm like you said, but about 4,500 rpm it dies out. It doesnt pick up speed and it seems to hesitate. I am not sure what it is then? I am planning on purchasing a new turbo. I read some where that the stock turbo usually "goes" around 100,000 miles and i have 120,000, actually 130,000 miles. What do you think it is? What turbo do you recommend?

get435 03-21-2006 11:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

save your money to fix it. stuff breaks for no reason all the time
LOL only if you dont keep up on maintance. you got to think 130K ona turbo that spins prob aroung 20-40K RPM it tends to break down espscialy when the maintinace from teh previous owner was not up to par.

for ex my car has 143k on it all stock except the bov never rebuild but the owner had all manitiance records and they kept it well above normal and she still runs like a champ and i have had it for about 7 MO. and have had 1 thing go bad brakes but that is exspected mantinace no majo problems.

5Tizzle 03-21-2006 11:22 PM

well i bought mine a couple months ago, and in 10 minutes i broke a bunch of valves [:@][:@][:@]

agallardo 03-21-2006 11:22 PM

I am planning on buying a GT28R turbo for my car. Do you think it is a good decision? What else do i need to do to my car in order to install this turbo? What upgrades do i need to make?

get435 03-21-2006 11:25 PM

like i said regular mantinace the timing belt most likley skiped teeth or busted did you get any mantinace recors check for wear or ask any question on the mantinace?

Sanguinius 03-21-2006 11:28 PM

Yeah you'll know when your turbo is going by the infamous death whine (You'll understand when you hear a turbo make the noise). I don't know what everyone elses thoughts are on it but perhaps it'd be a good idea to run an oil system flush through the engine and clear out all the sludge that could be causing you some problems?

5Tizzle 03-22-2006 01:18 AM

ORIGINAL: get435

like i said regular mantinace the timing belt most likley skiped teeth or busted did you get any mantinace recors check for wear or ask any question on the mantinace?

no. because im an idiot