2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

what kind of clutch for 98gst?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Default what kind of clutch for 98gst?

hey guys i found out i definately need a clutch for my 98 spyder gst.i am ready to buy one by next week.i want to know what is a good clutch for the mods i have and one that will not heavily promote crankwalk.i have an injen intake 3" turbo back and greddy fmic.i plan on a t28 soon enough though.i have been looking at the ACT street clutch,and the centerforce dual friction.should i consider one of these or maybe something else?my friend had an act 2600 and it gave him crankwalk.please help me make my decision because i need to order on monday.thanks!

Old 01-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Default RE: what kind of clutch for 98gst?

act 2600 is the best way to go. yo dont have to worry about cw as long as you have the pedal adjusted properly. make sure there is play at the top of the pedal. if it is stiff, its putting stress on the throwout bearing.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

A clutch won't give you crankwalk. Beating on your engine and not taking care of it will. I would also say go with the act 2600. I had an ACT 2900 on my talon and it is allittle stiff at first but you get used to it. You'll definetely build muscle in your left leg...LOL

Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

A clutch won't give you crankwalk. Beating on your engine and not taking care of it will. I would also say go with the act 2600. I had an ACT 2900 on my talon and it is allittle stiff at first but you get used to it. You'll definetely build muscle in your left leg...LOL
your wrong john a clutch actually can help the walking process.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 PM

it can but like i said if you adjust it properly you dont have much to worry about

Old 01-30-2006, 02:10 AM

How much HP is the stock cluch good for on a 2G gst?

Old 01-30-2006, 03:05 AM

HOW DO YOU ADJUST LIKE YOU SAID?do any of you believe in the slave cylinder extension rod?i was considering it,please let me know

Old 01-30-2006, 03:32 AM

slave cylinder extention is a very bad idea, it only allows it to push the clutch fork further, putting even more stress on the throwout bearing. its hard to explain how to adjust it, its kinda something you have to feel. but as i said, as long as your clutch pedal has some play at the top and doesnt feel stiff, it should be fine. the idea is to have the most play at the top of the pedal as possible without grinding the gears when shifting. if there isnt any play at the top and it feels really stiff, then its depressing way too far. most of the people who complain that their act 2600 is way too heavy just have it adjusted wrong. i have an act 2600 an it feels the same as stock, except it grabs a lot harder.

the stock clutch, assuming its still in good shape, is good for a stock turbo, and even a 16g for a while. but when you start running 19+ psi, it can start to slip at high rpms. id say a clutch upgrade is more critical on a gsx before a gst though

Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Adjusting the pedal is just a simple bolt right behind the pedal, all you do is loosen it, tun the screw (i don't remember which way, you'll have to play with it a bit) then tighten the bolt back up.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 AM

ok guys thanks for all your replies.i do have a few more questions.since i need a clutch anyways,i figure on upgrading all that i can in way of the transmission.i want to do a fly wheel,some sort of LSD,do you all reccommend it at all and if so what brand?also a b&m short shifter.i want to replace all bushings but is there a difference between underhood shifter bushings and just plain ol shifter stabilizer bushings?i was not sure if they were the same or if there is actually underhood and bushings that actually go on the shifter or on the shifter base.i also thought about a new starter and slave cylinder.i figure while the trans is out why not??i just want to do things right and make it all happen at once.please give me your input on all my ????thanks

Quick Reply: what kind of clutch for 98gst?