2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

What mods do I need for my GS-T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:12 AM
Default What mods do I need for my GS-T?

I've got a 1995 eclipse GS-T

Right now its stock but I have a 3 inch turbo back exhaust still using a stock cat, should I straight pipe it?

Any comments one what kind of manual boost controller to use? I was looking at the hallman.

Should I upgrade the stock downpipe? How restrictive is the stock manifold, I heard the 2g manifolds were pretty good. Should I even worry about it until I get a new turbo?

Also i'm getting ready to order a 1g b.o.v. What other modifications can I do to it while it still has the t25 on it. I shouldn't need to mess with fuel or anything correct?

I plan on getting a big 16g in a couple months, but I wouldn't mind turning up the psi to about 15-16. I believe its on 11 right now.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the DSM world, i'm use to hondas.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Default RE: What mods do I need for my GS-T?

ORIGINAL: matt02708

I've got a 1995 eclipse GS-T

Right now its stock but I have a 3 inch turbo back exhaust still using a stock cat, should I straight pipe it?

Any comments one what kind of manual boost controller to use? I was looking at the hallman.

Should I upgrade the stock downpipe? How restrictive is the stock manifold, I heard the 2g manifolds were pretty good. Should I even worry about it until I get a new turbo?

Also i'm getting ready to order a 1g b.o.v. What other modifications can I do to it while it still has the t25 on it. I shouldn't need to mess with fuel or anything correct?

I plan on getting a big 16g in a couple months, but I wouldn't mind turning up the psi to about 15-16. I believe its on 11 right now.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the DSM world, i'm use to hondas.
Don't worry about asking questions Matt, that's what we're here for.
Let's start with the turbo that you want, the Big 16G. May I suggest an EVO3 16G instead? It flows about 50 CFMs more and less than $100 more. Which ever one you decide to get, you'll need a 2G install kit for those Mitsubishi MHI turbos because the stock turbo on a 2G is a Garret turbo. A bigger fuel pump is recommended if you're going to turn up the boost past stock CFMs...notice I didn't say boost levels. You should consider bigger injectors too and to finish it off, you'll need an adustable fuel pressure regulator. To control this, a SAFC I or II will work fine with this setup.
After that, you can turn up the boost levels past stock safely....unless the motor is already straining to run good now.
The BOV should be last since you shouldn't turn up the psi until your motor can run higher, safely.
You may want to consider hard intercooler piping also....keep future plans in mind though before buying the lower piping, i.e. FMIC kit. Most folks just upgrade the upper intercooler piping first.

Before any of that though, I will suggest getting an aftermarket boost gauge. After that, get a data logger.

RRE has a good upgrade list for you....
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gupgradepath.htm

Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 AM

well without a boost controller you cant really do much about the boost except remove the bcs restrictor(an extra 1-2psi)and make sure before you buy the controller you buy the boost gauge first if not you will f**k up ur motor running too much boost maximum with t25 is 15 psi

Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Ill try and answer all these questions

Exhuast
Just so you know if you have a stock downpipe and cat, then you dont have a turboback exhuast, you have a catback exhaust. And yes getting both a downpipe and either a high flow cat or test pipe will give you alittle better gains

Manifold and turbo
I wouldnt worry too much about upgrading the manifold. Just wait until you upgrade the turbo. And when you go to do that your gonna have to upgrade other stuff like silver was talking about.

What to upgrade with T25
Getting a MBC is a good idea. I couple of really good ones are the Hallman, JP MBC, and TurboXS. But just about any boost controller will do the job. I had a cheap ebay MBC on my car and never had a problem. But definetly get the boost guage first. Then you can run 15psi with that. After that another thing to get would be an intake. I always say injen is the best to go with. Real good quality piping. You shouldnt need to upgrade any fuel right now.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Whenever you do jump into getting ur 16g, and you get your tuning device (safcII, dsmLink, etc) make sure you also get a Wideband so you can properly tune your car.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 PM

2g's are sensitive little things. As far as the filtergoes are you telling me to remove thatportion of the stockairbox where the honeycomb looking filter is and just stick a cone filter there? I'm confused on the intercooler piping. I can't get hard piping for all of it because of that MAF or MAP sensor box. I'm not worried about it venting to atmosphere at all. I could care less, actually half the bov's annoy me after about 5 minutes so i'd rather not here it as much. Well I have a catback then. I plan on getting a boost gauge and air fuel gauge they were first on my list I knew I needed those either way. I just picked up some 97-99 headlights and i'm picking up a brand new 97-99 Front Bumper for it.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 PM

Hard piping is considered the upper intercooler pipes and the lower pipe. Then there's the air intake pipe, the part that comes from the turbo compressor up to the "black box" or MAF portion of the intake. The MAF stays stock and you will get an adapter to fit a cone filter onto it.
Do you see the red intake pipe and the cone filter? Notice how the MAF looks the same as stock? Do you see the rubber intercooler hoses or piping? That's what needs to be changed to hard piping, just like that red UICP with the 1G BOV on it. It has nothing to do with the BOV, it's all about having a larger diameter piping and having solid piping. That "flex" piping does just as it's namesake, it flexes and bends. That's good for hard spots and they are ok to have stock and brand new, there's less stretch to them new. As they get older, they will crack and flex or bulge in it's weakest spots. Can you imagine having 250CFMs pushed through them and you suddenly release the gas pedal? That BOV can only release so much at a time. That sudden wall, will cause that old *** pipe to flex and bulge. Not to mention, pushing close to 550CFMs, that piping will flex just because it's old and there's double the psi going to the intake.
Are you following me so far?
I've put 15psi through my old flex pipes and they look like a snake's belly after it's meal! That's one reason for the "hard piping".

There's also an adapter on the left side of the MAF so that the filter can be clamped on. You have two choices on this, a round and an oval like the one in the pic.

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Eng...sual-index.htm <--pick a quadrant and read on bud.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:42 AM

Yeah thanks for the picture it cleared up a bunch. Sorry i'm use to turboing honda's you don't have to worry about half of this **** lol, but trust me I like my DSM much better. That link you posted up did not work. So in order to put a cone filter I will need to get the adapter correct? That'll probably be the next thing I do.

Oh and to the guy that mentioned the evo 3 turbo thanks after looking at the specs on that i'll definitely be getting that instead.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=006

Is this the adapter kit I need for the intake?

What is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INJEN...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Yeah thanks for the picture it cleared up a bunch. Sorry i'm use to turboing honda's you don't have to worry about half of this **** lol, but trust me I like my DSM much better. That link you posted up did not work. So in order to put a cone filter I will need to get the adapter correct? That'll probably be the next thing I do.

Oh and to the guy that mentioned the evo 3 turbo thanks after looking at the specs on that i'll definitely be getting that instead.
Sorry about the link. Try this one...
http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Eng...sual-index.htm
or this one...
http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/
That was me that pointed out the Evo3 16G in the second post .

Oh yeah, you are correct about the air filter question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=006

Is this the adapter kit I need for the intake?

What is this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INJEN...QQcmdZViewItem
The first one will work and the second will too. They are both the filter and adapter. The second states that it only includes the filter and adapter.
Part#: INJ-IS1890F
Retail Price: $163.28 Item Description: [ul][*] Each intake is built from 6061, T-6 aluminum alloy to ensure the lightest design possible.[*] All INJEN Intake systems are CARB exempt or pending CARB exemption - 50-state legal[*] All intake systems come in polished and black finish[/ul] NOTE: INCLUDES AIR FILTER & ADAPTOR ONLY
Although, it's rather distracting and confusing what exactly they are selling, lol.

Quick Reply: What mods do I need for my GS-T?