2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Does your eclipse burn oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Default Does your eclipse burn oil?

Does your eclpse burn oil?
Just wanna know if burning oil is common with eclipse.
Tell us about your car:

Year Model Milage Oil burn per 3000 miles

Mine is:
99 RS 102K Unnoticeable

Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Does your eclipse burn oil?

mine was burning old when i got it. but they replaced the gasket,and now is fine.btw,my eclipse is 96 rs,nt.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 PM

I have found that oil burning is common with the 2nd gen eclipses and they usually have valve seal leaks or something of that nature...Thats what happened to mine and i just recently got a valve job and it doesn't happen anymore. I have a 97 GST

Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 PM

It must be a lot $$$ to replace the valve cover gasket, isn't it.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:45 AM

Ok, I recently did an tuneup on my eclipse, a 97 Gs, and when I pulled the Spark plugs out, I noticed there was oil on them. I have also noticed that it is smoking a lot more. Some one told me that the seals on my engine need replacing. I honestly have no clue whats up. Im pretty sure oil burning isn't normal, so if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem might be, and what i need to do to fix it, please, get back to me

Old 02-25-2005, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: LatinSpeed

Ok, I recently did an tuneup on my eclipse, a 97 Gs, and when I pulled the Spark plugs out, I noticed there was oil on them. I have also noticed that it is smoking a lot more. Some one told me that the seals on my engine need replacing. I honestly have no clue whats up. Im pretty sure oil burning isn't normal, so if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem might be, and what i need to do to fix it, please, get back to me
Is the oil on the tips of plugs or one the tops?
I see a lot oil on the plug wire boots. I am pretty sure this is because of a bad camcover gasket.

BTW: where did you see smoke?

Old 02-25-2005, 10:21 AM

The oil was on the tips of the plugs. and the smoke was from the exaust, like a thick bluish smoke, and I know thats not normal. Any ideas?

Old 02-25-2005, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: LatinSpeed

The oil was on the tips of the plugs. and the smoke was from the exaust, like a thick bluish smoke, and I know thats not normal. Any ideas?
souds like inner oil leakage. might be blown head cover gasket . oil finds its way through the gasket into the cylinder.
that why you have oil on the plug tip and blue smoke from the pipe. need quite some $$$ to repair.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:44 PM

awwwwwww mann

Old 02-25-2005, 04:25 PM

I haven't checked my oil since the last change 9,000 miles ago, LOL. I'll check it after I change the oil again very soon. :P

Quick Reply: Does your eclipse burn oil?