2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

What's the best way to get a substantial increase in power from my 2g GSX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Default What's the best way to get a substantial increase in power from my 2g GSX?

I bought a '98 GSX a couple months ago and it didnt take long for me to catch the bug. I'm craving more power but i'm not sure of the best way to go about getting it.

The car is basically stock with the exception of an upgraded turbo, manual controller, gauge, and aftermarket plugs and wires as far as the power goes. The turbo is 16g but i'm not sure if its a big 16g. The guy I bought it from said it was but he was a real dumbass.

Everything else engine related is bone stock.

What's the best ways to get some nice hp/torque increases? And tips on where to find the best deals would be very helpful.

I have money to throw at it but i'm not exactly sponsered so I'd like to keep costs within reason. If i stay around $1500 i'll be safe.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Default RE: What's the best way to get a substantial increase in power from my 2g GSX?

you already got a good turbo to work with.
If you want 13's get cat back exhaust, downpipe, high flow cat, upper ic pipe, better bov.
if you want 12's also get a front mount, bigger injectors and an SAFC, get that thing tuned.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Default RE: What's the best way to get a substantial increase in power from my 2g GSX?

What do you mean by 13's or 12's... can you explain?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 PM

he means 1/4 mile times.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM

I've read that larger down pipes may not be street legal. And do you know how legal the exhaust would be without the cat. And i've been thinking about doing a 3" dp and full exhaust. should I go larger?

Would 550's work for the injectors or should I go larger? And I've never messed with tuning before. How does the safc work? At what point should i upgrade the pump or anything else fuel related?

And i've heard of using a 1g bov to keep costs down. Would that work or should i go with a used G-Reddy?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:46 PM

1. Yea downpipe is technically illegal, but really who is going to notice, or for that matter care? just take it off when you get the car smogged.
2. Dont take the cat off. You car will be loud and smell bad. If you attract cops and get caught thats like a $2000 fine.
3. 1g BOV crushed or the greddy are both good. Get greddy if you want looks, get 1g if you would rather spend $ on better things because they will both perform fine.
4. Dont worry about injectors until you do a lot of reading/research, by then you will know what to choose. I can tell u 550's are good for about 19psi on a 16g, 660's are good for about 22psi, at that point you need race gas for more. 550's are easier to tune too though.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:47 PM

get a walbro 190 fuel pump right now and you can safely run 16psi on the stock injectors. Dont get a 255 pump, you dont need it and it screws up your fuel curve without an adjustable FPR

Old 07-15-2005, 12:46 PM

Thanx for the info...

And plus everyone else's mod suggestions

Old 07-15-2005, 07:25 PM

What kind of injectors and pump do I need to run 20 psi? Are those the only things I should

Crushed 1g bov?

Should I go larger than 3" full exhaust?

And when you said frount mount before did you mean the intercooler?

Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 PM

**Are those the only things I should upgrade?

Quick Reply: What's the best way to get a substantial increase in power from my 2g GSX?