3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Supercharger/Turbo: suggestions anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Supercharger/Turbo: suggestions anybody?

I have a 2002 Eclipse GT 5spd and am trying to find a supercharger or Turbocharger for my car. I only want stage 1 as in I can use it with a basically stock engine other than 3-1 headers and cat back mods. I think it's about 6psi boost that a stock enginecan withstand safely if my memory serves me correctly. The only thing I've found so far is a RIPP Mods supercharger kit(The actual supercharger is Vortech). What are some other options for me?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Default RE: Supercharger/Turbo: suggestions anybody?

you'll get more power out of a turbo, but a supercharger (especially the vortech) is easier to install. On the other hand, turbo's allow for more individualization, and easier upgrades.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

www.tearstone.com used to sell a turbo kit for your car. And RIPP mods is the only good place to buy a supercharger.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

you'll get more power out of a turbo, but a supercharger (especially the vortech) is easier to install. On the other hand, turbo's allow for more individualization, and easier upgrades.
dont see how this answers anything

Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Wingo171

I have a 2002 Eclipse GT 5spd and am trying to find a supercharger or Turbocharger for my car. I only want stage 1 as in I can use it with a basically stock engine other than 3-1 headers and cat back mods. I think it's about 6psi boost that a stock enginecan withstand safely if my memory serves me correctly. The only thing I've found so far is a RIPP Mods supercharger kit(The actual supercharger is Vortech). What are some other options for me?
its actually 8psi.. and your a 5spd which means you will get around the 300whp mark.with stock internals.*turbocharged* now ifyou want more boost you have to upgrade your block... i suggest the short block for 2499.99 at tearstone.com. you can also talk to russ about it.. he will explain everything you need to know about going FI with your 3g. i can answer most of your questions...

Supercharged i have no clue.. sorry about that one =D

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

www.tearstone.com used to sell a turbo kit for your car. And RIPP mods is the only good place to buy a supercharger.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 PM

what are your plans for the car? if you don't plan on rebuilding the bottom end i'd go with the supercharger. if you plan on having a 400hp beast than i'd go w/ the turbo setup. reason being, a SC is a direct bolton, all you need is a new belt and you are good to go, you never have to mess with it again unless you upgrade the pulley. a TC is a bit more complicated setup but much easier to get more power out of when you want it but if you are not going to build the block you really don't need the extra power...

Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM

ok, since everyone seeems to want me to give really long, dull and complicate responses. Here is a quote from another post I entered on feb. 24th.

"Superchargers work at very low compressor effeciency, with the absolute best you areevergoing to getbeing about 60-65% effeciency,
Turbos however experience alot lessturbulance, and since the air they are moving doest have to be compressed in the unit (rather compressed through the piping and intercooler (if there is one) then that air doesnt move back across the turbo to slow it down,
Roots type superchargers (regardless of whether itsan eaton, whipple, or lysholm) all usebasically an air resovor chamber with two big fat/long blad fans spinning either in the same direction, or across it. They rely on the small gap in between the blades to compress the air, and shoot it back out. However since most of the time they are bolted directly to the head, or have very little piping, it just doesntleave anywhere for the air to go, except to stumble back around, andstay inthe chamber, until the throttle body opens, and it can flow into the cylinders. Because of this, the air in the supercharger canconinue on its cycle inside the unit, and get re-heated, as it tries to re-compress, which only equates to lesshp, as we all know heat makes less power than cool.
As for Centrifugal superchargers, they are generally where you are going to find thehigher compressor effeciency numbers, as superchargers go, (typically closer to 65%) However there main problem is that unline a supercharger, they require something to drive them off of the engine, and whateveris used todrive them, takes power away from the motor at the same time the supercharger adds it.Centrifugal superchargers have very similar boost charicteristics to turbos, however becauseall of the boost perameters are set at the design stage with gearing choices, then there is no other way tomake more boost, without a smaller pulley. Whereturbos only require a turn of a dial, or at worst, loosening a screw and turning an intergrated wastegate actuator controlarm father in. Centrifigal superchargers have a limit. They spinvery fast, and have little tolerance for being spun any faster. Not only that,if you decide you want moreboost than the unit is capable of,often times the only option is to replace the whole unit. Which leads to horrible long lag times as the unit moves to a speed that it can become usefull.

Turbos on the other hand have none of those problems, astheycan, andfor the most part are designedso that theturbine side is smaller than the compressor side, so that it spins up alot faster than the compressor. The reason for this is so that you can have your lotsaboost, and so that you dont have long lag times.
Dont get me wrong, turbos definatly heat the air there fair share, but it is considerable less than any supercharger ever will. Also, intercoolers do alotto be able to chill thatair back down to almostambent temps.
and just for the record, turbos have compressor effeciency typically around 75 to 80% "

Since you are askin what is best for you car, and not really telling us anything about your plans for the car, then the best advice I can give you is to go with a turbo, on your particular car, and with your particular motor, a turbo will be fairly straight forward to install, giving you a very noticable boost in performance. It will also allow you in the future to upgrade as you upgrade the rest of your engine setup. When you are ready to go to the internal of your motor, the turbo will still be there allowing you to turn up the boost and make even more power. On your particular car, RIPP Modifications make some very nice supercharger kits, go to http://www.rippmods.com/products/pro...3&vehcId=2for info. If you are looking for good turbo kits for your car, go here, they have some nice stuf.. http://www.turbo-kits.com/eclipse_turbo_kits.html

Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks everybody! Let me tell you a bit about my car since you all keep asking It's basically stock as of now except for a tower strut bar, muffler tip, tinted windows, Yokohama Tires,and Injen CAI. It's currently in the shop getting my body kit put on (Evo Front Bumper,Z3 Fenders, Blitz Side Skirts). Next I plan on getting my Headers and Cat Back, then my TC (Since this is my every day driving car I only want to push her up to around the 300 WHP brim and just enjoy herpower everyday). Then probably later on after I buy a new Rear Bumper I'll Y Pipe my exhaust. (That should complete my Performance Upgrades hopefully [sm=smiley2.gif]).
Then I go visual by getting new halo headlights, racing style seats, vinyls, 17" Kobe Envy rims, possibly do some painting on the dash and seats, then eventually get a custom Paint job. (I already have Chrome Tail lights and a 7 Color Underbody neon kit on the car)
Audio wise, I have two 15" Hifonic Brutus Subs powered by a 1500 Watt Pyramid "America"Amp (it has 4 blue LEDs on it, connected to myPower Acoustik 3 Farad Capacitor w/digital read and a blue neon bar, The Head unit is a Panasonic CQ-C7413U MP3 CD player(*This thing has a lot of schweet choices and adjustable options*)The rest of the component speakers are Infinity but I look to swap them out with something elseat a later point in time.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 PM

sounds like your gonna havea real nice car, be sure to post up some pics bro

Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

why are you gonna bother buying a header and then a TC. Your just gonna end up replacing the header

Quick Reply: Supercharger/Turbo: suggestions anybody?