3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

2.4L camshaft sensor in place of distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Default 2.4L camshaft sensor in place of distributor?

Hi guys and gals, I'm a new Mitsubishi owner and new to this site. Well, I got a 2000 eclipse gs this week. The first thing I did was change the oil (valvoline maxlife 5w30), spark plugs (NGK) and air filter. Well it had been running smoothly with low, idling rpm but wouldn't stall, until I did this service to it. Then it developed an idling/stalling problem especially with the A/C on. I found various posts here with that same, low idle/stalling problem. So, I follwed the advice they had recieved, and I think I found the problem which appears to have been that I didn't plug the MAF sensor on the intake tube all the way until it clicked when I had taken it off for the air-filter change. After that find, I cleaned out the throttle-body with carb cleaner spray. I also messed with the idle adjustment screw on top of the throttle body and raised the rpm to about .8 and now it appears to be able to handle idlingwith A/C on. The only thing is that whenI was adjusting the screw, I started to hear air hissing in the general area of the throttle body. I figured it would go away onceI drovethe car fora test drive but its still there and is pretty noticeable especially with the hoodopened. Is thishissing air sound normal when you adjust that screw?

Asfaras the originalidling/stalling problem it seems to beok now. So, now I wasthinking that if the problem comes back then it wasgoing to be the distributor, BUT then I heard that this car doesn't have one!Now after looking throughthe posts which had this problem, I saw that one guy fixed it by changing the Cam Shaft Sensor. So, is this what functionsas the distributor in this engine? And would this be what I should replace next if it comes back?

Thank you for caring so much about your cars. I love to get under the hood too, but I'm not familiar with Mistubishi yet...

Old 10-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Default RE: 2.4L camshaft sensor in place of distributor?

New cars generally do not have distributors, they are a thing of the past.
Your on board computer detects the cam position and the crankshaft position, and fires 2 spark plugs at once as required by the timing.
The computer also controls the air fuel mix, based on driver requirements, air temp, humidity, and atmospheric pressure.
You should not need to adjust the idle speed. The computer is supposed to do that based on the load on the engine (as it increases from the AC being turned on.).
If you need to increase the idle speed, you need to train the computer to retain that speed, or it will just override your adjustment and try to return the idle to it's programmed setting.
I suggest you consult the service manual for your car. Somewhere on the web is a copy of the service manual for the eclipse.

Ray

Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

Coil is what does the job of a distributor

Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 PM

Not sure I would agree entirerly with your statement about the coil, as a response to the OP, Sebba.
New or old cars STILL have coils in them (gasoline engines, that is).
Old cars have distributors, new cars don't.
The purpose of the distributor was to distribute the high voltage to the spark plugs at the correct time.
Also in the distributor was a set of "points" (now thats going wayyyyyy back) that opened and closed (12 volt primary of the coil) at the correct time to generate a high voltage in the output of the coil.
This high voltage was them distributed to the spark plugs.

Today, a computer turns a transistor on or off (based on crank and cam senor position) at the correct time. This switches 12 volts on and off in the primary circuit of the coil, which generates a high voltage on the secondary, of one of the two coils (4 cylinder Mitsu 2.4L engine). The 2.4L has two coils with two high voltage outputs each, that fire two spark plugs at the same time.
You can referance the Mitsu service manual for more details.

And yes, I know that "points" were replaced by reluctance senors in the distributors, over 30 years ago.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

You know what i meant lol