3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

01 RS check engine on after upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Default 01 RS check engine on after upgrades

My girlfriend was looking at a 2001 eclipse RS with 40K miles. The only problem is that the owner said after they put on a Tsudo cat back, OBX headers and a K&n intake the check engine light has been on. The owner says its normal for cars to do that when you upgrade the intake and exhaust. Are they telling the truth and what could be the possable problem and is it serious. I think it could be an O2 sensor but if it could be worse I dont want to waste my time driving out to see it.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Default RE: 01 RS check engine on after upgrades

that is normal for those cars. If you get a header most cases you get a down pipe as well and get rid of the CAT. When you do that a check engine light will come on in those cars unless you have 02 simulators or something to fool the ECU. So yes you are right it is an 02 , no it isnt a bad 02 it is most likley because of the header. Now IMO I wouldnt buy it with those mods on it already because you know those are "go fast mods" were they were only upgraded for the car to get faster. that means the car might be beaten up pretty bad wheather it looks it or not.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 AM

most likely, the original owner didn't extend the o2 sensor when he installed the header and probably took it completely out. you could get the code scanned at a local autozone just to make sure.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Or you could simply look at the exhaust to see if the o2 sensor is there and actually IN the manifold or if it's simply not there at all LOL.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM

We went to look at a 2000 gs with 79k The only problem with it is the emergency brake light is stuck on and the dashboard by the winshield is cracked pretty bad. Are theses common problems and how hard would it be to change the dash out and fix the e brake light other than that it runs really nice.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:15 PM

the dash will be a PITA to get out. you will have to replace the entire top portion of the dash.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Is the light on because there's a problem with the brakes? Perhaps the switch isn't tripping it off (Possible problem with the microswitch actuated by the lever/cable?). And depending how long the crack has been in the windshield it COULD be repairable. I had a crack in mine that'd been there for over 9 months steadily growing. I got it fixed cost me $89 and the factory windshield is still in place and it passed safety inspection. The only thing is because I let it go so long there was drit ground into the beginniing of the crack so the part of it that is oldest you can see when you get up on the car. From a distance it's invisible though. All in all they did a FINE job of fixing it. And it was cheaper than the near $200 people were quoting me for a replacement.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Is the light on because there's a problem with the brakes? Perhaps the switch isn't tripping it off (Possible problem with the microswitch actuated by the lever/cable?). And depending how long the crack has been in the windshield it COULD be repairable. I had a crack in mine that'd been there for over 9 months steadily growing. I got it fixed cost me $89 and the factory windshield is still in place and it passed safety inspection. The only thing is because I let it go so long there was drit ground into the beginniing of the crack so the part of it that is oldest you can see when you get up on the car. From a distance it's invisible though. All in all they did a FINE job of fixing it. And it was cheaper than the near $200 people were quoting me for a replacement.
the windshield isn't cracked.....the dash is cracked near the windshield

Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 PM

Check the brake fluid, it might be what is tripping the switch.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

most likely, the original owner didn't extend the o2 sensor when he installed the header and probably took it completely out. you could get the code scanned at a local autozone just to make sure.
I can promess you that the car wouldent even run if the o2 sensor was missing. The o2 sensor reads the amount of o2 in the exaust and adjusts the a/f ratio acording to that reading. With out the reading the car dosent know WTF to do so it will have a really ****ty idal and run really ****ty. Btw obx isant the best company out there but their smart enough to put a o2 bung in a down pipe.

For the dash thats cracked and the brake light, I bet my car that its because of a low brake fluid leve. Rember the dash cracked because something was able to apply enough force to break it. Something isant right if its a pice all the way up under the windsheild.

Quick Reply: 01 RS check engine on after upgrades