Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/)
-   -   3 out of 4 ain't bad, or is it?! (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/3-out-4-aint-bad-6296/)

Sanguinius 10-18-2005 04:01 PM

RE: 3 out of 4 ain't bad, or is it?!

Yeah my borther hydrolocked his Eclipse. Drove through a HUGE puddle LOL.

eclipsed4u 10-18-2005 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

if you have an intake, i would suggest that you do NOT remove the ones infront of the intake unless you have a shield that will cover the intake from rain. a couple of engines have been hydrolocked b/c the owners removed those "slots" and then rain was able to get soak the filter.

just go to a junkyard and find a wrecked eclipse.
For a car to hydro lock the motor would have to suck a considerbal amount of water up.... Just getting the filter wet wont do it. Dunking the whole filter under water will. The only way to hydro lock the car would be to go into a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter. Rain just hitting the filter while driving wont do ****.

yes i know that....im just relaying what mechanics told these couple of guys.

EMonz57 10-18-2005 06:08 PM

well even if water went past the filter enough of it will evapotate long before it got into the motor. unless your completely under water. here is the fix for that... when there is enough rain dont be lazy just remove the extention pipe and use it as a short raim I did it for years never once had a problem just carry a screw driver and take 5 minutes and your golden.

Just remove all of the vents it looks better. here is my 00 GS with them out and the hole trimmed so the slot for the tab was shaved out

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/4B2C5D79EA9A454EB70B40E6BA33D0A2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/01621B5E4D374C6DBC0E41CB5DDAD398.jpg[/IMG]

eclipsed4u 10-18-2005 06:55 PM

that would actually be great if you had a SMIC there. is that a custom kit? mod list?

slow420a 10-18-2005 07:17 PM

that would actually be great if you had a SMIC there. is that a custom kit? mod list?
Are you kidding? FMIC all the way, flows a **** load better and wont get heat soaked.

EMonz57 10-18-2005 10:25 PM

If your asking for my mods well I dont own that car anymore but I had

imported from japan EVO VII Twin scroll 16G\Manifold\o2 housing
custom intake
3in turbo back
SAFCII
FMIC
525cc injectors
190 fuel pump
centerforce 2300 clutch
guages:
Autometer EGT, boost, A\F

Suspention:
KYB's all around
goldline springs 1.5 drop
18' RS limited Shinwa wheels
also 15 Creager race wheels
with BFG Comp T\A drag radials 235/65/15 for the fronts(never ran the car though)

and a few other things I didnt keep the car after it was becoming a project to drive and maintain and it still was not very fast. And unfortinatly I never even took pics of it because I never had a camera. I was lucky enought to have these pics.

Here are the rest of the Pics I have of that car, needless to say the EVO is MUCH better by far

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/61769128FBF14BCD9FBD67158F3A710D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/BD889BDF96E44B39A94DDB75E8492E8D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/75C20438E5BA464592A0E4160288CDFE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/E148A8A03ABD406FAE7DB7A052C52F6E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3652/06CBA74475AF447FAC8FAE8EA2664702.jpg[/IMG]

eclipsed4u 10-19-2005 01:25 AM

Are you kidding? FMIC all the way, flows a **** load better and wont get heat soaked.
so you must not know much about intercoolers. the fact that its a SMIC or a FMIC has NOTHING to do with how much it flows. I can get a SMIC that will flow twice as much air as a FMIC.

KillerEclipse 10-19-2005 04:16 AM

this is the question for the guy that sold his eclipse.....where did u get that manifold imorted from japan from. and is that a 6 cyl or a 4 cyl?

slow420a 10-19-2005 10:49 AM

so you must not know much about intercoolers. the fact that its a SMIC or a FMIC has NOTHING to do with how much it flows. I can get a SMIC that will flow twice as much air as a FMIC.
Yes you can get a fmic that will flow just as much cfm's but it wont cool the intake charge temp down the same. To get it to cool the air at the same rate you would have to have a huge smic. Theo only problem with that is a turbo is most efficent when the outlet of the compressor housing is the sme size as all of the piping and the tb for the motor to be most efficent. So adding a smic that would be big enough to cool down the air temp the same would flow too many cfm's and the turbo would have lag, plus you wouldent see as much psi as you normally would. The top end would benifit from the huge piping but you would lose a lot of bottom end(turbo lag). Plus what you would pay for a huge smic(6-800 bucks) you can get a nice sparco fmic for 300. But I dont know **** about intercoolers.

eclipsed4u 10-19-2005 12:15 PM

Yes you can get a fmic that will flow just as much cfm's but it wont cool the intake charge temp down the same. To get it to cool the air at the same rate you would have to have a huge smic. Theo only problem with that is a turbo is most efficent when the outlet of the compressor housing is the sme size as all of the piping and the tb for the motor to be most efficent. So adding a smic that would be big enough to cool down the air temp the same would flow too many cfm's and the turbo would have lag, plus you wouldent see as much psi as you normally would. The top end would benifit from the huge piping but you would lose a lot of bottom end(turbo lag). Plus what you would pay for a huge smic(6-800 bucks) you can get a nice sparco fmic for 300. But I dont know **** about intercoolers.

so in all your rambling, you never say anything about the flow efficiency of an intercooler. for example, you could have a 4x2x4 SMIC that flows 900cfm and has an flow efficiency of 95%. this intercooler would be better than a 29x4x4 FMIC that flows 600cfm with an efficiency of 75%.

there is ALOT more that goes into determining the right intercooler than just the placement(FMIC/SMIC) and cfm.

EDIT: and i understand that a 900cfm intercooler on a t25 turbo would not be a great thing to do. but a 900cfm intercooler on a t4 would be better.

moral of the story......bigger is not always better