Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/)
-   -   3 out of 4 ain't bad, or is it?! (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/3-out-4-aint-bad-6296/)

EMonz57 10-19-2005 01:02 PM

RE: 3 out of 4 ain't bad, or is it?!

ORIGINAL: KillerEclipse

this is the question for the guy that sold his eclipse.....where did u get that manifold imorted from japan from. and is that a 6 cyl or a 4 cyl?
Well as I said it had the EVO setup, which means it would have to be a 4cyl. I got the manifold the turbo and the o2 housing from a guy out in japan. Since I told him it will work in these cars he started a website called powerhousejimbo . com shipping took a few months

slow420a 10-19-2005 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a
Yes you can get a fmic that will flow just as much cfm's but it wont cool the intake charge temp down the same.
I did mention it and what is better, colder air, or hotter air? The point I was trying to make was why go with a smic, which has limited size due to limited space, when you can go with a fmic that can get more surface to air and cool the charge temp more. The point of an inter cooler is to cool air not to increase the cfm's. If that was the case why not run a stright pipe. I under stand that bigger is not always better but a correct combo of size between the turbo and the intercooler is what is curcial. Sure you could go with a huge fmic but if not matched up with the right kind of turbo it wont do ****. If you really feel strong that smic's are better then fmic's than I think you should go around to everyone with a fmic and tell them why they are wrong.

eclipsed4u 10-19-2005 03:35 PM

Yes you can get a fmic that will flow just as much cfm's but it wont cool the intake charge temp down the same.
I did mention it and what is better, colder air, or hotter air? The point I was trying to make was why go with a smic, which has limited size due to limited space, when you can go with a fmic that can get more surface to air and cool the charge temp more. The point of an inter cooler is to cool air not to increase the cfm's. If that was the case why not run a stright pipe. I under stand that bigger is not always better but a correct combo of size between the turbo and the intercooler is what is curcial. Sure you could go with a huge fmic but if not matched up with the right kind of turbo it wont do ****. If you really feel strong that smic's are better then fmic's than I think you should go around to everyone with a fmic and tell them why they are wrong.

nobody is wrong for having a fmic. fmic can flow very well, im not saying that they can't. im just saying that the comment, "FMIC all the way, flows a **** load better and wont get heat soaked. " is incorrect. you pretty much said a FMIC is better than a SMIC intercooler, which is incorrect. a well designed SMIC is just as good, some even better, than FMIC.

just as clarification, the size of the intercooler has NOTHING to do with the amount of cooling that it does. just b/c its big doesn't mean that its going to cool the air more than a smaller one.

slow420a 10-19-2005 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u
just b/c its big doesn't mean that its going to cool the air more than a smaller one.
Really now

eclipsed4u 10-19-2005 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u
just b/c its big doesn't mean that its going to cool the air more than a smaller one.
Really now
yes...when i get home, i will give examples

EMonz57 10-19-2005 07:15 PM

I would be willing to bet that the FMIC I had on the GS in those pics could be beat out by a nice side mount. It was a cheap FMIC ebay brand and got the job done since the car can only run around 8-10 PSI daily to be within safe measure. Just because its bigger it doesnt mean it is better. Side mounts dont get heat soaked as bad as you think, if you were talking a top mount or a stock mount for an RX7 then yes that would be very heat soaked. side mounts can get the job done on what most people need them for. For example my buddies 99 GST has a FMIC on it with the stock T25. he lost power and you can feel it. he also need to turn the boost up because of the extra boost lost to fill the IC, but then he went with a small 16G upgrade and at less boost it feels faster. That is because the turbo is more well fit for the FMIC and it runs more efficient than a T25

slow420a 10-19-2005 07:30 PM

"the FMIC was SMALLER but actually cooled BETTER then the larger SMIC."

it kinda contridicts the statment about the size

http://www.sportcompactracing.net/vb...ad.php?t=42631

I am done arguing

EMonz57 10-19-2005 07:41 PM

It isnot about the size. Bigger is not always better as I said. but my point was that the FMIC i used I am sure could have been out performed by some nice side mounts. a big FMIC can be over kill and is over kill on alot of peoples cars

eclipsed4u 10-19-2005 07:41 PM

"the FMIC was SMALLER but actually cooled BETTER then the larger SMIC."

it kinda contridicts the statment about the size

http://www.sportcompactracing.net/vb...ad.php?t=42631

I am done arguing
exactly...you proved my point. the smaller intercooler was better. i never said that every smic was better than every fmic. all ive been saying is that the biggest intercooler wasn't always the best.

EDITED: generally, smic are smaller than fmic thats why i was referencing them. but thats not always the case as you seen on that page. they were testing one of the largest smic that was made for that car up against one of the smallest fmic.