3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Car shaking periodically

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 11:13 PM
Default Car shaking periodically

I have an 01 Eclipse GS, just got it about a month ago.

Every now and then the car starts to shake, it seems to be coming from the front and is even on both sides. When it starts either accelerating or decelerating stops the problem. It seems to be triggered by going uphill, though it sometimes happens on quite flat surfaces. The shake is not very violent, but is substantial.

Any ideas on what might be happening would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:39 AM
Banned
Default RE: Car shaking periodically

this sounds like a dirty fuel filter, clean it and see is that fixes it?

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

^^are you kidding me....a fuel filter causing a car to shake. I can see it maybe causing some hesitation but that is it.

Im willing to bet its a motor mount. Those cars are known to have cheap @ss mounts.

Old 08-25-2008 | 04:39 PM

Hmm, it really doesn't seem like something like that.

Once it starts any deceleration or acceleration stops it. It's also most common when I go uphill withought accelerating a lot.

Someone was saying that when your're driving a manual and you don't shift up when you should (or something like that) it can cause shaking. Anyone heard of something like this?

I'm replacing the timing cover gasket and all the spark plugs soon (once my gasket arrives), I'll see if that helps and post back.

Old 08-25-2008 | 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

with a manual yea if your at like 1000k rpms or something you can get shaking. I used to get it all the time if i wasnt in low enough gear

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:43 PM

so as the shaking happens going up hill, could it be the automatic transmition not shifting down when it should be, causing low rpms a too high gear? I'll try and keep an eye on the rpm's and see if it does happen only when they get low.

If it is the automatic transmition, would a regular tune-up fix the problem? Also, if this is the case, would it be damaging the engine?

Thanks the help, i'm still pretty new around cars.

Old 08-28-2008 | 03:48 PM

I had this issue with my 00 Eclipse. It was only slightly shaking for about 3 months, only when NOT de/accelerating. If my foot wasn't on the gas, especially if I was at a light or drive thru it would be a little worse. It turned out to be a motor mount - just like the moderator said. A good way to check that is next time you get back to your house - after your car has been running a while, pop the hood and watch the motor. After driving like that for about 3 months it got worse and I could see my motor shaking - that is NOT normal, your motor should not shake. It made the whole car shake.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:35 PM

That does sound a little like what I'm getting..

The thing is, it never happens when my foot is off the accelerator, and certainly never when I'm not moving. Was yours a constant shaking? Mine is fine 90% of the time, and only shakes for a few seconds a couple of times a drive.

How did you fix yours?

Old 08-29-2008 | 12:42 AM

im also having the "vibration" when im in park... i woulding call it a shaking feeling... i was guessing a good tune up will fix the problem. its a periodic vibrate though. itl vibrate for a few seconds then stop then do it again... is it something like that? cuz maybe we have the same problem. if youv fixed it let me know so i can check it out...

Old 08-29-2008 | 04:52 PM

If you are at a place where you can stop next time it starts shaking, pop your hood and watch it. Seriously...mine was just noticable before it became REAL bad. And when it gets bad...it gets BAD! I think maybe the motor mount was cracked at first, which cause just a vibration some times, when it actually broke tho, that's when it the shaking gothorrible. I went to the Mitsu dealership and they ordered me a new one. You have to know which one it is. The main mount is more expensive I think. If I'm correct there are 3. I wouldn't recommendanything else. Used -you never knowwhat your getting.It was about $80. My hubby is a mechanic so he swapped it out. If you want to try it I can ask him to post how he did it. If your not comfortable doing that, don't. It doesn't take a mechanic long - so labor shouldn't be much.
Hope it works out for you!

Quick Reply: Car shaking periodically