3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Default Check Engine Light

My check engine light turned on a few days ago and it won't turn off. I've checked all the fluids, and the car sounds fine. What could keep the light from turning off?

Old 02-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine Light

go to autozone and get the code check then come back and let us know what it says.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:53 AM

What year is the car? I have a 93 and went to autozone and they couldn't troubleshoot the light cause they didn't have the scanner LOL. Did it myself with an Ohm meter. But mostly what sets the light off is a problem in a sensor somewhere that is out of specs. If the sensor fails the ECU will go into an Open mode and allows the car to run. You will not get the best preformance till the sensor is fixed.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 AM

01 Eclipse GT, I'll probably just take it somewhere and see if they can diagnose it. It would be nice if I could do it with ignition though!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ictponder

01 Eclipse GT, I'll probably just take it somewhere and see if they can diagnose it. It would be nice if I could do it with ignition though!
autozone, advance, etc. will most likely do it for free. if you take it somewhere to get it diagnosed, then they will charge you.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:27 AM

yeah, I was told in one of the other threads about the key dance trick. I tried it yesterday in my 97 RS and it didn't work... Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can someone explain this trick further or point me in the right direction to read about it? 'Tank ya.

You will not get the best preformance till the sensor is fixed.
Why would a bad sensor give your car worse performance?

Old 03-02-2006, 01:07 PM

Example, your O2 is out of voltage specs and can not tell the ECU how much O2 is passing thru your exhaust. So the ECU takes the safe approach and richens the mixture goint into the Cylinder to make sure the engine doesn't get a lean condition (BAD). More fuel is use so you lose preformance in the car though, you might not tell if you are only driving around town. Your gas milage would go down though. 01's can be checked at Autozone though and I would start with them. At least it would give you a starting point to troubleshoot. GL with it

Old 03-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Took it to Autozone but they didn't have the correct harness to plug into the car, so I took it to Advanced Auto and encountered the same situation. So I took it to the local garage, they CAN do it but will charge me $20. Why can't I get it done for free when everyone else can?

Old 03-04-2006, 06:20 PM

because mechanics suck ***** more than doctors and lawyers????......

Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: ictponder

Took it to Autozone but they didn't have the correct harness to plug into the car, so I took it to Advanced Auto and encountered the same situation. So I took it to the local garage, they CAN do it but will charge me $20. Why can't I get it done for free when everyone else can?
your autozone sucks.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light