3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Grumble sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Default Grumble sound when accelerating

Aside from the engines normal sound theres kind of like a hollow grumbling sound that started yesterday on my way home from work i was only doin about 20 mph thru town and once i went to give it some gas i noticed this loud hollow grumble like sound. I was thinking it could be an exhaust leak. If anyone can help me better pin point the problem i can take it down to my friends shop and get it up on a lift n fix it. Oh by the way its a third generation (2000) GT eclipse. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned
Default RE: Grumble sound when accelerating

might be a hole on your exhaust.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Is there anything else it could be. It seems like the throttle is kinda sticky to like when ur stopped in neutral and you give it some gas it seems to me that its taking longer then when it didnt make the sound.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:27 AM

Also the sound came out of no where i didnt run anythign over to make a hole. and the car only has 63k original miles. I thought exhausts should last longer then that. Everything on my car is bone stock and ive never shifted past 4.5 ever.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

the exhaust could easily rust up quick if its been in snow or in the rain alot. A good way to check for exhaust leak would be to take a rag and block the muffler tip and have someone listen and look for a leak.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 PM

If it's an exhaust leak then it sounds like a good excuse to get a custom exhaust system now. The tranny is shifting OK, right?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM

The shifting is kinda different now maybe because of pressure loss from the exhaust leak if there is one. I feel like a loss in power because before iw as on the highway and the same year same color same model eclipse rolled up and we went and he absolutely smoked me. he has no mods just as mine does. It shifts kind of rougher now then it did before hand.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Alright well im going to try the rag in the exhaust tip and look for leaks. That wont harm anythign by doing that would it? Also i work in a shop so checking **** out is no problem i just want to get a few things out of the way before i rip into it maybe like if someone has had the same problems. I recently replaced a rear heat shield about 2000 miles ago could that just be loose and ****in up?

Old 11-29-2006, 04:19 PM

does it make the niose at idle? does it make the noise when your rev up?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

If you're LOSING power then it's not an exhaust leak. You will actually GAIN some power from an exhaust leak (My flew hose tore in my '03 Sentra and when I got it fixed I was actually SLOWER and had a NOTICABLE loss of power).

Quick Reply: Grumble sound when accelerating