3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Grumble sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Default RE: Grumble sound when accelerating

it almost sounds like something is spinning . its all gravy though its going to Major Mitsubishi motors at 10 am today so ill let everyone know what the problem is to further help others.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM

Well just picked up my car from the garage. and got a list of problems woohoo. I need a right front motor mount (216$) Timing belt, water pump and drive belts (721$) upper and lower radiator hoses are leaking. (140)$ Rear cam plug seals (153$) plugs and wires (383$) and a throttle body service (36.99$) If anyone can give me a better prices on parts for this it would be greatly appreciated. Just an added note this is prices from a dealership so i know most of it is way overpriced i can do most the work my self i just need a place to order parts if anyone can hook me up with a link it would be ****in sweet.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

WHOA plugs and wires over $300?!?!?!?! OMG... Are they replacing the coil packs too??? If not then do that shyt yourself for less than $40. Water pump is driven off the timing belt if I'm not mistaken... That would explain the grumble. Also the coolant leaks would explain the pump going south. Radiator hoses should be less than $50 total and it'll take you 30 minutes to change them (Including refilling the radiator). Motor mount is a pain in the ding ding. You'll likely need an impact gun to break those loose. Let a shop do it but look around don't take it in the place that you got the quote from. Rear cam plug seal?? Isn't that part of the valve cover gasket job? Another 30 minute and $20 job. Throttle body service will cost you an old (or cheap) toothbrush, and a can of carb cleaner ($3). Take the intake hose off the throttle body, Open the butterfly valve and hold it. Spray the cleaner in there on top and bottom. Use the tooshbrush to scrub the crap out, spray again scrub again. Repeat that process until the carb cleaner that runs out of the throttle body as you spray is clear. Then wipe it all up with a rag. When you start the car again it'll have to crank for a bit (Engines don't like running on massive amounts of carb cleaner) once it starts slowly rev it once or twice then let it idle a little and shut her down... Unless you plan on going somewhere then hop in and go.

As for getting parts... Advance or Auto Zone should have just about everything you need. Good luck and if you have questions feel free to ask.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 PM

Thanks i appreciate your response. I was going to do most of except the engine mount my self. I kinda have a part time job at a little ****ty shop so thanks.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 PM

DAMN! Plugs and wires shouldn't be anywhere close to that..Like Sang says, those should only run about $40 to $50...I just replaced 5 coolant hoses in my '99 GS-T a couple of months ago for $60...I wouldn't any way, any how go to those guys for any repairs..Yer gonna get ****in' railed without any lubrication man...I work at a dealership and that is just bad...If you can do most of the work yourself then go for it and save yourself a pile of cash and some dignity as well.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

yea you should easily be able to do all that yourself besides the engine mounts, and maybe the timing belt. But if you do the timing belt them make sure you know what your doing there cuz you can really mess up your engine if you dont. The water pump too will be kinda a pain

Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 AM

T belt is not something I would recommend doing yourself. It is rather tough on the V6 motor and it requires you to know how to time it properly cause being off can cause you to need to rebuild the heads which would cost im sure $2k or more at the dealer

Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 AM

Damn! I got on this forum to find out what my new "grumbling" sound was, it just started yesterday.
I have a 2001EclipseSpiderthat i had recentlytaken to Toyota to have the timing belt done (because they gave me a GREEEAAAT price), well we all know u get what u pay for. By the end of the day they were trying to charge me a whole lot more cuz they didn't know it was gonna be so hard! Then they proceededto tell me they had never worked on a spyder before and when I got it back it sounded and ran like a toyota, I took it back 3 times and because I am a girl they tried to tell me I did not know what i was talking about they finally agreed to let me take it to Mitsubishi and lo and behold they had failed to put an air intake hose back on and my engine was getting no air. well when i got it back this time it was smooth quiet and had power once again, but its a month later and now it has this grumbling and loss of power almost like before but a little louder and i am hoping i will not get a surprise like you did when I take it in. Wanted to also say thanks for the forum guys! It helps a heap when a female can take her car in and be a little informed because the stories i could tell you of many shops in my town that tried to sucker me in repairs with my old 83 BMW would floor ya! P.S. it has become my opinion that the best person to work on your car is someone who does it all day long and that would be the dealer, from the above situation I learned my lesson. Alisa

Old 12-18-2006, 01:06 AM

the best person to work on my car would be me, i dont trust anyone
not evryone can do it theirself so usually a dealer is the best option, even if it does cost more

Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 AM

Wow, this is why I work on my own car too. I've had crap like that done to me too. Good thing I have tools, lol. Oh, btw, a very easy way to find an exhaust leak is to look for black carbon buildup on the piping. Ok, "very easy" is relative, lol.
Hey phyukewe, did you end up paying more to have your car worked on by Toyota? I would have told them to put it back just the way it was or they'd be getting sued for taking it apart in the first place (seeing that they'd never worked on a Spyder before and told you that after the fact).

Quick Reply: Grumble sound when accelerating