3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

jeez, more problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Default jeez, more problems!!

ok, well ive actually been having this problem since i got my car in november 05, but whenever im driving and i gun it to around 4grand, i hear a really strange, loud and annoying rattle coming from what sounds like near my front drivers side wheel, i have no idea what this could be. anyone have any ideas?
thanks

Old 09-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Default RE: jeez, more problems!!

I had a similar problem it turned out to be my front driver side wheel bearing was damaged. Drive fast enough and it started to vibrate. Get a mechanic to look at ur front end.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:18 PM

its not nessecarily when im driving fast, just accelerating fast, like i said, usually around 4k rpms

Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

does it go away if you turn the wheel to one side slightly. Depending on which side the problem is from will change which way the noise goes away. If it does go away then it probably is a wheel bearing. Best way to check is jack the car up and wiggle the wheel. If its got some play then its the problem

Old 09-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Banned

Either a wheel bearing or just needs alignment

Old 09-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Or the stock intake snorkle.

Look to see if the rivets that hold it down where the snorkle goes between the hood and bumper there are 2 rivets and if they are missing and you floor it when you hit 4K and up the car will make a funny sound and lose some power because it suctions to the underside of the hood

(had that on my 3G GT)

Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM

actually emonz, it cant be that, i took that peice off, and i know its got nothing to do with me taking it off because it was doing it before i took it off also, same noise. but it does not go away when i turn the wheel, and im pretty sure that the wheel doesnt have any play in it when its jacked up. it just sopunds like something is loose and rattling around down there

Old 09-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

check your sway bar bolt assembley. That may be loose of bad. Cuz that will cause some rattling.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

check your sway bar bolt assembley. That may be loose of bad. Cuz that will cause some rattling.
how do i go about doing this?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

You just have to get under there and investigate things. Cuz the sway bar is only one of the many things it could be. But when your looking from underneath there should be a small rod that connects to the suspension on both sides of the car. It might be hidden in the middle. All cars are different. Well where it connects there is a simple bolt assembly there with rubber washers. See if thats broken or loose. Once the car is jacked, maybe try and shake stuff and see if you can figure out where it is comming from. Actually now that i think of it this might even be an engine mount problem. Might want to check that out as well. But like i said we really cant tell you exactly what it is without seeing it ourselves. These are only suggestions

Quick Reply: jeez, more problems!!