3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Mitsubishi Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Default Mitsubishi Mistake?

SOmething that get me:

Why didn't Mitsubishi give the Eclipse (esp the 3G in my case) more horsepower? I was reading about the Evo, which doesn't have the 'fast' look per say when compared to the Eclipse. But it cranks out so much more power. Why did they limit the Eclipse so much? I only say this because when they dropped production of the 3000gt, which is a totally wicked ride if it's a vr-4, they decided to make the 3G eclipse look much like the 3kgt. I'm just wondering what's was going on if anyone knows.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Default RE: Mitsubishi Mistake?

Simple answer $$$$$$$$ reliability ect ect... back in the VR4 and DSM era sales were not that great and turbo cars were slowly faising ut as they are once again IMO.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:59 AM

true dat it always about the money. Alot of the sportcar drivers of the late 80's- mid 90's had their fast cars and got women and had kids then traded the ride for a SUV. So now the cycles restarts. Sports cars are coming back main stream just watch. Thats another reason they are making all of these "Sport Sedans" for the guy whos wife won't let him have one LOL!

Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 AM

So an EVO is a sporty grocerie getter to make the wifey think it's worth getting? I just don't see why, if they can pump so much HP from a car like the EVO, why not give the Eclipse some juice too? Even Russ's turbo with ALL those mods, is still pushing about the same as Emonz's EVO. What gives? I'm not saying I don't like the EVO, and I'm just using it as an example, but if they can do it ot that car, why not to the Eclipse too? Who decides which cars get the chopping block?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 AM

Have noticed the fact that the EVO is a rare car? They dont sell many High HP cars any more each dealer will only have 1=3 EVOs compairing to 100 eclipses. The sa;es dont allow for building more cars the evo cost almost double the gs\rs Eclipses and much more than the premium GT still.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 AM

I understand, but my questions remains...why? Even a Honda Accord (daily driver IMO) has more power than an Eclipse GT, and they are made by the dozen. I just want to know why the Eclipse is such a wimpy car when stock.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Simple answer $$$$$$$$ reliability ect ect... back in the VR4 and DSM era sales were not that great and turbo cars were slowly faising ut as they are once again IMO.
that's exactly the reason.........nice call Emonz

Old 04-06-2006, 03:32 PM

here are the REAL answers:

1.) the evo is mitsubishi's flagship "performance" car. if they were to make the eclipse with more power, then it would hurt the sales of the evo.
2.) turbo DSMs counted for only about 15% of the sales of all eclipses. Mitsubishi didn't see the need in making another eclipse with a turbo since they didn't seem to sell very well. this was a good idea back in 2000, but then the F&F boom happened, which made it look like a horrible decision.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM

I still don't think it would have hurt to drop at least 50 extra hp into the 6g72

Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 PM

another thing... look at half the people driving eclipses (mainly 2nd and 3rd gen). notice something?? there mostly in their 40's and up... people at that age just want something reliable, they dont care if its got 290 stock HP like the Evo

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Mistake?