3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Must choose AIR INTAKE...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 09:54 PM
Default Must choose AIR INTAKE...

I am new owner of 2001 Spyder GT.
I am hunting for advice on which AIR INTAKE i should get...
Also if someone can tell me the diff btwn SHORT RAM and COLD AIR>.. I get the COLD AIR... but cannot find any info on the SHORT RAM -- presuming that it means the air is stuffed into the engine -- also sounds good.

Thanks,
Eclipsor...

Old 03-17-2006 | 10:04 PM
Default RE: Must choose AIR INTAKE...

Injen cold air...I had it on my GT very nice... a short ram is the same except the exptention that goes under the front of the car is not included

Old 03-17-2006 | 10:11 PM

Injen and AEM are usually good choices for Air Intakes. The difference between a cold air and a short air is where the filter is placed. Most cold airs route the pipe out of the engine bay (usually behind a fender) the air there is colder than what is in the engine bay. Good news colder air good, Bad news don't drive through a deep water hole or you will suck water into your engine (VERY BAD) A short air intake is common and it remains in the engine bay itself. Now you can and usually should build a divider or something else that reduces the hot air from the exhaust from entering the filter. I say put one on for where you live. And just be advised of the limitations between the two[8D]

Old 03-17-2006 | 10:17 PM

Here is my GT engine bay.... where the intake pipe cuts out of this pic is where the filter would be on a Short RAM

Old 03-18-2006 | 06:15 AM

AWESOME! THanks for your help fellow Mits fans. Great photos!
THat was exactly the answer that I could not find while scouring the Web!
Much appreciated!

There are a ton of aftermarket air intake vendors on Ebay -- is there any one make that I should avoid? Why pay the premium for the AEM or INJEN parts? It's quadruple the $$$/horsepower.

Old 03-18-2006 | 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Eclipsor

AWESOME! THanks for your help fellow Mits fans. Great photos!
THat was exactly the answer that I could not find while scouring the Web!
Much appreciated!

There are a ton of aftermarket air intake vendors on Ebay -- is there any one make that I should avoid? Why pay the premium for the AEM or INJEN parts? It's quadruple the $$$/horsepower.
the ebay brands can break you manifold..I know from experience It cracked the flange on the throttle body.. So I replaced the manifold then the next one the flange snapped right off. I sold the car after I fixed it again and the new owner had that happed twice to him that was on my old 2000 GS. From then on getting Injen was the way to go so I had the injen for about 6 months on my GT spyder and it was fine and now I used that intake and cut and used it on my EVO.

You can buy a used Injen for $100 all it is ,is just a pipe with a filter so most youll need to replace is the filter. I paid $120 shipped for mine and new they are over or around $200

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:42 AM

I think the K&N Typhoon series CAI are a pretty nice setup and not much $$$. Make sure ya get a bypass valve to avoid the sucking of the H2o into your engine

Old 03-18-2006 | 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: ictponder

I think the K&N Typhoon series CAI are a pretty nice setup and not much $$$. Make sure ya get a bypass valve to avoid the sucking of the H2o into your engine
bypass valve is a waiste of money. off it is, is just a foam songe it does nothing. No water will ever make it to your endine any way unless you drive it completely under which even the bypass valve wont stop.

Thik about the heat the small amout of rain that might get in will just evaporate

Old 03-18-2006 | 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

and from what i have heard, the bypass valve can break down and get crap in your engine. Unless your in a puddle that is deeper than your bumper, your ok.