3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

please help me learn about the engine

Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Default please help me learn about the engine

hello all, this is my first post. i have looked a little bit around here but can not seem to find much, sorry i did look first.

i was wondering if some can tell me a little about the engines used in the 3rd generation mitsubishi eclipses. im thinking this s going to be my next vehicle and would like to know how well the motors and drivetrains hold up. im very familiar and like the previous 4 clylinder motor used in the older mitsubishi eclipse models, and know they can hold there own. however im clueless about the V6 model engine (6G7), i know there were used in 3000gt's and thats it.

does the v6 model have a timing chain or belt?

how well designed in the v6 motor?

common problems in the motor/powertrain? (looking at manual only)

i am also considering the 4 cylinder, and noticed they changed it as well for these years.

does the 2.4L 4 clyinder motor have a timing chain or belt?

is this 2.4L have any connection with dodge's 2.4 motor, are they built the same or different?

how well does the manual transmission hold up in the 2.4L?

any common issues i should be looking at when looking, anything to keep a special eye on with these cars.

can anyone list a few common problems and if its something kind of major, a rough ballpark of cost, and if they do have timing belts im well aware of the general cost of that.

thanks guys/gals and hope you can help me out.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Both engines use timing belts, costs around 500-700 depending on location to get it changed, sometimes more.

They are both very well designed and last, i drive a 4 cyl and i know for sure they last a long time and are much easier to work on then the 6 cyl.

The transmissions hold up well, the cars in general hold up very well, they dont break down much.

The only problems are cosmetic, sometimes the sunroof sticks, the clear coat on the 00,01,and 02 has been know to fade but they fixed it after those years. The dashes also tend to crack.

Thats all i can think of, they are very reliable cars. I know of atleast 3 that have over 250k miles without any big problems

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM

^^ all true.

They also have issues with bad motor mounts. And the heater core is know to clog up and leak water all over the carpet floor up front which makes the interior smell like a wet dog.

There are alot of write ups on this stuff all over the web

some more info

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-...-problems.html