Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/)
-   -   Racing tips (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/3rd-generation-64/racing-tips-21123/)

Eclipseprince 08-09-2007 12:33 AM

Racing tips

hey I'm sorry if this has been posted, but i really can't find it. well anyways i got a 2004 eclipse gt, i only got an aem intake on it. i need to know how to race with this car. i am gonna go to a track this saturday and i need to know everything, iknow i got no reason to go wit a stock car but i have some friends that wanna race my car.

some of the questions i want to know is
1. at what rpm should i rev to have a good start?
2. when should i shift gears.
3 is dere any way to shift ex powershifting.
4 would it f*** up my car.
5. off topic what should i do with my car to get more hp after intake?

please help me on this. thank you nuff

Dusty Eclipse 08-09-2007 02:02 AM

RE: Racing tips

1. & 2. Youre car (according to Mitsu.) will produce the most torque at 4K rpms and its most HP at 5500 rpms. So Id say shifting around somewhere in there would produce the best results
3. What the hell are you asking here?
4. It shouldnt... provided you dont beat the hell out of it.
5. Try forced induction. www.tearstone.com produces some nice parts for the 6g72 (your motor.)

racerx55 08-09-2007 02:12 AM

if you dont know how to drive you shouldnt be racing...
buy an automatic

Kaede.Noir 08-09-2007 02:46 AM

Hahaha give the kid a break =), listen to what dusty said, and actually what racer said as well... if you are still not comfortable driving your stick, why race it?, get use to it, learn it, engine break, learn how it works, or else answer to number 4 will come out as a plain YES
Answer to 3: Try to find the sweet spot in the rpm's where you will take the most out of your ride, then be sure to hit it there, feather the clutch, dont just dump it. Be careful in the start.
5: Look for a good catback exhaust system, remember sometimes louder isnt better, and i really do not know much about your engine, but perhaphs forced induction like dusty said would be a good idea.... stick around, read, use the search a lot and youll have no issues.

Dusty Eclipse 08-09-2007 03:04 AM

Oh, and 6. Contrary to popular 'street' lore, taching out will not necessarily provide you with the most power. There IS a sweet spot.

Wingo171 08-09-2007 08:33 PM

Stage your car at 3K RPMs, you will be able to pretty much dump the cluth and go (just practice it a few times), I'd say shifting around 5,300 rpms will produce the best results for you. Your next step in performance will be exhaust(Headers,High Flow cat,cat back) or engine internals (block, connecting rods, pistons, cam, valve springs. Don't bother with forced induction yetas for how much you pay to get a kit made and put on your car; you can only get to 300 hpwith stock internals before you start risking destroying your pistons. Don't skip gears, go through them 1 by 1.*a.k.a. don't skip 2nd gear* Don't race for pinks, and if you race for money then you better know what you're up against!!! and be safe; that's most important!

TheEngineer 08-10-2007 06:43 AM

if you want you can try powershifting, but i dont really recommend it cuz its not really that good for your car. I would just shift normally as fast as you can.