3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Remote Key Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Default Remote Key Problem

I have a 2000 Eclipse GT. My remote key stopped working. I've tried a new battery, tried using the backup remote key and also check the related fuses in the car. Any ideas on how to track down the problem?
Another clue is that there was a really bad storm the day it stopped working. So there could be some water damage but not sure. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Remote Key Problem

It probably lost its programming. Get it reprogramed (check owners manual) and you should be good to go.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM

to reprogram you need to plug in a scan tool or other device to the car turnkey on and cycle the hazzard switch on/off until you here the door locks cycle. this puts the system in program mode. you then depress the lock button on the remote till you here the locks again
and again on your other remote.

hope this helps

Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks for your replies but I am not convinced it's a reprogramming issue. Can anyone suggest a way to isolate the problem to either the car (and the receiver electronics) or the remote (keyless transmitter electronics).

Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 PM

My remote is broken too. Physically. It works but I have no way of putting it on my keychain. I need a new one and I also need it programmed. How much is a new one and where can I find it?!?!?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM

how about a new case for it.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 PM

if you follow the procedure to reprogram and the locks won't cycle there's a problem with the receiver.

if the receiver goes into program mode and the remote won't cycle the locks its your remote.

are your power locks working with the key? if the switch behind either lock cylinder goes bad the system will not work properly

Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 AM

I had the same problem with my remote not working (also the alarm would go off by itself for no reason). I found out that the alarm horn itself was not grounding properly against the body where it is screwed in. I replaced the worn out sheet metal screw and have not had any problems since then.

Hope this gives you another place to check.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 AM

mitsupartsman.com,

Good idea, will try it this weekend. What's the best way to do the first grounding step without a scan tool?

Yes, the power locks work on both doors with the keys.

Genosyne,

Interesting problem. Did your horn work when you had the problem? Currently don't have the alarm going off by itself but I'll check anyways. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM

here is the pic of the obdII connector where you would plug the scan tool in
ground out pin1 or connect it to pin 4 which a ground turn on ignition switch and cycle the hazzard button.

Quick Reply: Remote Key Problem