3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Thinking of an '03 GTS...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
VB
Default Thinking of an '03 GTS...

Something along the lines of this: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...&cardist=8
It has pretty low mileage, but it seems rather steep...no doubt because it's the GTS. Is the V6 really worth it in this car? I live in NYC (though somewhat suburban), and I'd be using this car to pretty much go back and forth to college...would the 6 kill me at the pump?

Also, I've been looking around for safety reports online, but I haven't had much luck..I know this GTS comes with front & side airbags, but how are the crash ratings? If I'm to buy an Eclipse, I need to prove that it's safe and reliable, since I'm still a minor (and therefore I don't have full control of my assets). I can't go by what Mitsu says, since they'd never say anything bad about their own cars, but how have you guys fared with the 3rd gens?

I'm not going to be opening up with this car a lot; like I said, there's no room to here. I know the power of the V6 would be nice in this car, but I think the 4 would be sufficient.

Basically, I need a commuter car - but I'm trying to get something with a little bit of pep if I ever want it..which is why right now I'm also taking a look at used Mazda 6s and Imprezas.

Thoughts?

Old 06-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Default RE: Thinking of an '03 GTS...

Thats actually a pretty good asking price.. if you check kelley blue book it says 17k for those many miles, and assuming its in excellent condition, which it does look. I can tell you right now that the V6 gets the same gas mileage as the 4 cyl so don't let that scare you. A lot of guys will get on you because its an auto but if you're just gonna be using it to commute and not rodding on it then an autos fine. I know people have rolled them and been OK. With all those air bags you should be. Plus you can always use the extra HP to impress some girls or something.. i dunno haha

Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 AM
VB

ORIGINAL: bigwayner

Thats actually a pretty good asking price.. if you check kelley blue book it says 17k for those many miles, and assuming its in excellent condition, which it does look. I can tell you right now that the V6 gets the same gas mileage as the 4 cyl so don't let that scare you. A lot of guys will get on you because its an auto but if you're just gonna be using it to commute and not rodding on it then an autos fine. I know people have rolled them and been OK. With all those air bags you should be. Plus you can always use the extra HP to impress some girls or something.. i dunno haha
What unnerves me is that I've talked to a few people where I live with the 3.0L, and they say that they need to pump Premium into their Eclipses..is that true? I don't see why it would be, it's only a 3.0L...and I know Mazda's 3.0L doesn't need Premium. I don't want any car that needs premium right now - gas goes for $3.30 around here for just regular.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 PM

you'lll want to.. you dont want your egine giving out on you either because of gas oct not being enough for your car.. dont cheap out your car.. its only 2.50 more on your total bill of gas... spend the extra... and know your car isnt going to give out on you.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM

WPS is absolutely right... besides, its not the displacement of the engine that calls for a different grade of gas... I have no idea what gave you that idea...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

WPS is absolutely right... besides, its not the displacement of the engine that calls for a different grade of gas... I have no idea what gave you that idea...
I know the displacement doesn't determine what octane you should use; I was curious as to what made Mistu's Eclipse GTS engine call for it, since I've seen (as I said) similar engines with similar power use regular.

I don't know if I'll get an Eclipse anyway...sad to see that they don't exactly have the best track records. Not that I mind having to fix things, but like I said before I don't have full control of the money.