3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Wife wants to buy a 2003 GTS should we get it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Default Wife wants to buy a 2003 GTS should we get it...

We found one today for 12k, with 54,000 miles on it. Very clean, new brakes, rotors and tires, 60 day warrantee from the used car dealer. Clean car fax, one owner. Inside real clean except for the truck area. Needs a new rear deck lid and some scratches and stuff inside from stuff being loaded in and out etc. Otherwise very clean, leather interior, very sharp looking car, rides nice and tight, pretty fast.

Any common problems with these and what and or when is the next biggest service bill gonna hit us?

Thanks guys, I personally love the car and can't wait to borrow if she gets it.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Billy

Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Wife wants to buy a 2003 GTS should we get it...

well it sounds good...and there isnt a whole lot of problems with these cars but i think the price is a tad high...just a little bit...sounds good though...buy it.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

They are pretty good all round cars actually. They are by no means fast, but they are decent cars.

However, the service is due at 60k miles. That includes the timing belt, trans fluid and all that good stuff. I would ask if that has been done.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys, that is exactly the info I am looking for. What does that kinda job run on one of these? When I say fast, fast enough for my wife, actually too fast.

Keep it coming guys. The price out the door was $12900 with tax included 8.75%so whatever the heck that works out too. We walked and told him we would get back to him.

Glad she changed her mind to this over a Tiburon.

B

Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Banned

BAH! Tiburon!

Yeah i think you can get that price down.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Is an aftermarket warrantee worth the money? If so any recommendations on a good company?

Thanks,

Billy

Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 PM

That's the thing with the 3Gs 2000-2005 Eclipse (in case U R new to these cars) I have had 2 a 200 GT and a 2003 GS. The 2000 a small problem with the lights other than that I have never had a problem my factory warr just ran out on my car and I have never had to take it in for anything. If this car is for your wife and U don't do any mechanical mods they are very reliable cars as long as you do the mantince on time.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:26 PM

If you plan to keep the car all stock it will be a great car for you. Common issues with these cars are only minor things. For example I got a list from the 2 I owned in the past.

Rotors will warp easily
Sunroof (if it has one) dont work all teh time the right way (they are fussy for some reason)
Power Door locks\alarm - will do what ever the hell it wants at times. It is supposes to beep and flash teh lights but from some reason it will work fine one day they next week it will only flash, then the week after that it will only beep (kinda weird but not a big deal)
the little red corner markers on the rear bumper burn out often take a look at other 3G eclipses at night MOST of them only got one marker working lol)
factory are intake snorkel from some reason the plastic rivets holding it down inbetween the hood and front bumper Break of or fall off (or someone doing a tune up removes them) and this causes the snokel to suction the hood on hard pulls and the car loses power (not to common but it happens, t happend to mine and a few other people I know)

The dash boards are weak up top near the windsheild they tend to crack easy (especially if you spin tires alot, most 3G eclipses have cracks or have been replaced, neither of mine cracked though)

The top center speaker for the stereo is junk it will blow out in a short time.
the In dash CD changer (if it got it) seems to skip alot even on brand new CDs (not sure if the 03-05s had that fixed or not though, and a GTS is an 03-05)

Headlights seem to peel no big deal just an eye sore to the **** people like myself.

I think that is about it... Ill add If I can think of anything else. but like I said nothing major just stupid little issues. They are great cars for daily driving.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: medbill

Thanks guys, that is exactly the info I am looking for. What does that kinda job run on one of these? When I say fast, fast enough for my wife, actually too fast.

Keep it coming guys. The price out the door was $12900 with tax included 8.75%so whatever the heck that works out too. We walked and told him we would get back to him.

Glad she changed her mind to this over a Tiburon.

B
60k service is one of the more expensive ones and most important, the timing belt NEEDs to be done. It will last most of the time till 100k or a little more but if you chance it your looking at a $2500 fix if not more. id call your local mitsu dealer (if the car is not there) and ask. The price I agree is slightly high.depending on the year and type of tranny it has. if the car is an 03 id pay around $10k for it or try at least. if it has a sporty (auto stick) it will be slightly more for that reason.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Excellent stuff thank you guys. This is a "daily" driver. My wife has chronic health problems so its mostly a grocery store car with her having fun in it now and then on the back road twists and turns. Not to mention me borrowing it as well!

Thanks,

Billy

Quick Reply: Wife wants to buy a 2003 GTS should we get it...