Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

sub pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Default sub pics

hey guys just got a new 04' Eclipse .....i want to puts some subs in it...just wondering if eny one has pics of a set up and/or some ideas of brands that are nice for a poor man .... thanks guys

Old 12-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Default RE: sub pics

i love thses things
Volfenhag

Old 12-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Old 12-29-2004, 10:38 PM

Volfenhag hu? Sorry to say it bro, but those are CRAP. Yeah, if you want half of what they say, and it to last half as long go ahead and buy crap like this off ebay for really cheap, but when it starts to make funny noises and not push power like it is supposed to, don't complain. Go buy some quality stuff like clarion or jl or eclipse. here it is on ebay...volfenhag amp. Peak at 2000w, but really it will only rms at 1000w. But then you have to divide it by 2, because there are 2 channels. When these amps are tested for power output, they are tested in a perfect environment with a monotone signal. thus meaning that you will not get 1/4 of the power that they say you will.
But don't listen to me...My job title is just "avation electronic technician." This pretty much says that I troubleshoot bad electronic components on the v-22 osprey for a living. I have taken some VERY advanced classes on electronics and I know my crap. I have BOOKS of schematics and wiring diagrams dealing with diodes, capacitors, inductors, transformers, all figuring out the relative voltages, current, power, and resistance. Also with all this I had to learn a lot of the number systems... Example: decimal (0-9), binary (0-1), octal (0-7), and also hexadecimal (0-F). Do you even know what a capacitor REALLY does? Well, if you don't I will explain. All a capacitor is, is a nonconducting material (dialectric material) between 2 conducting plates. It stores electrical energy in an electrostatic field within microseconds and can expell these charges for a duration of seconds. Okay, here is something else... how many types of bridged circuits are there? UMmmm let's see.... 2. A Balanced (wheatstone) bridge, and a unbalanced bridge.
You are probably getting tired of hearing me talk about all this stuff that you probably didn't know about, so whatever.....
DON'T buy volfenhag. I am warning you.
I find this point kinda funny....
get435 said that the airspace in my box is too much for my subwoofers. This statement is true, but also he just admitted that volfengag is a good brand. Well, My roomate has 2 volfengag subs with a 1600w amp. I find it kinda funny that my 300 watt alpine amp drives my subs HARDER then his 1600w amp on his stupid looking gay red subwoofers. He has been having problems with his, and let me remind you that he JUST got his stuff like 4 months ago. I have had my alpine stuff for 1-1/2 years now, and I have NEVER had a problem yet.
Hopefully you don't think I am a dick, and ignore everything I just said. In order to get good stuff, you have to pay more. It is the way that the electronic world works. If you want to know anymore, just post.
Thanks,
Jed Booth LCpl. USMC

Old 12-30-2004, 01:38 AM

m3kgt_99 I have two 10 inch alpine type e subwoofers. They are 600 peak and 200rms. I am having trouble finding a amp that will just slightly underpower them so I dont blow them. What amp would you recomend? I also want them to hit at the same time. I dont know if this matters that much but I listen to hard rock/metal

Old 12-30-2004, 02:14 PM

99eclipseguy, I need to know what kind of enclosure that your subs are in. This will greatly affect the outcome of what amp you need.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:25 PM

If you catch this in time, I would consider this auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...740812468&rd=1
I know it is on ebay, and people tell you not to buy things off ebay, but I bought my WHOLE alpine system off this site and nothing has gone bad yet.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:24 PM

what about Rockford Fosgate ?

Old 12-31-2004, 12:50 AM

Now, you have to remember...what I am about to say is MY personal opinion. Anyone who disagrees is encouraged to write a post saying that they don't think the same thing.
Here it is:
Rockford amps....I would only buy them for a LAST resort. By this I mean that if I only had $300 and I needed a 1000w or more amplifier, I would probably go with a rockford. However, in my own personal opinion, their subs SUCK. I wouldn't buy a rockford subwoofer in any circumstance given.
I have realized that if you are new to car stereos, the best way to learn and get familiar with system is to buy the cheapest crap that you can throw together. Yes, it will sound like crap, but you will be able to learn without frying an amp that you just paid $1,000 for.
My first system was a lightning 12" sub that I bought at best buy for $20, a soundstorm 150w amp that costed $75 from a local stereo shop. I put the sub in a PLYWOOD box that I built myself...lol; but anyway I used a t-shirt to seal between the sub and box. So, yeah; you can imagine what crap I did. Also, I ran the power cable through the door jam and about 2 weeks later I ended up closing the door on the power wire and caused a direct short on the battery. I had to quickly grap a pair of dykes that were luckily laying in my passenger seat, and quickly clip the wire before it burned up all the way to the battery... Yeah, I have had my experiences, but you have to start somewhere.
Now, I have a decent system. It is all the sound I need for now, however when I get my car paid off, you damn-well know there are going to be 2 12" w7's back there with a jl 1000w amp for each. Also to go with this nice set-up, realistically I will probably get an eclipse head-unit, however I would really like to get the in-dash dvd player.
The main point is, when you get familiar to your system, MAKE SURE you buy what YOU want. Don't just go out to the stereo shop and get pressured into some equipment that sounds good now, but you regret it later because you could have found some better equipment for a hell of a lot cheaper. Make sure you look around and get the best deal on quality equipment.
Hey nick, I am kinda curoius to know if you are considering buying something by rockford. Because I will say that not all their stuff is bad, just a lot of it lol

Old 12-31-2004, 01:09 AM

i was just looking but... i also am looking at stuff and not knowing what it means....i mean i realy know nothing other than the basics (sub = boom boom) thats about it so all im doing now is looking so if ppl would like to email me or post or even send me a link on how it all works and what makes a sub better , i would love it .... money is a issue but not so much were im buying crap. i just bought a eclispe and want it to sound great... just dont know what im doing ! hehe
help if you can
thanks guys
Email: drbeat_nick@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: sub pics