Eclipse Frequently Asked Question Section This section is only for FAQs, not Q&A. If you have an FAQ reply to submit, contact a moderator or admin.

Help Identifying what Relay controls in Eclipse Spyder 2002

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Default Help Identifying what Relay controls in Eclipse Spyder 2002

2002 Spyder 2.4L. convertible

Having some electrical challenges recently. Battery goes dead due to something running after I turn off ignition.
  • I believe i have some water leakage issues around door mirror that may or may not be part of problem.
  • I was having issues with radio working on and off where i would loose FM but AM would still typically work and dome light would sometimes come on when i made a sharp turn. I hadn't narrowed that issue down and started to have this new issue.
  • When i turn off engine if i have the heater fan on it will continue to run after i turn off ignition.
  • Disconnected Negative Battery cable and with meter checked amps on negative terminal and i'm getting 3.40 range.
    • I started pulling fuses and relays and found one relay that when I pulled it out the amps dropped to 0.10 so i think i at least have my culprit narrowed to a starting point but I don't know what it is controlling.
      • The relay is in a small narrow compartment under hood next to the main fuse/relay box. It's 'A' in the straight line of relays next to the Security/Theft System relay. It has the engine symbol on it but that's it. So the ask is does anyone by chance know what that first slot controls? Or does the overlying issue sound familiar to anyone to help speed up the trial and error process?
      • Relay checks out with continuity check as Normally Open type relay.
The car will start without the relay in but not sure yet what I'm living without with the relay removed. I may have more input tomorrow as i continue to trial and error but it's cold and dark out and I stopped at this point and looking for some feedback if by chance anyone has any.

Last edited by nmiller67; 01-01-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:16 AM

It sounds like you are on the right track.
I don't have a wiring diagram but check high current things outside the car... Lights, horn, A/C, rear defrost, pwer/heated mirrors, power roof if equipped, etc.

It probably only controls one thing...

The relay could be fine, the block itself may have some corrosion or something on it that could be causing current jumps...

From the sounds of it you probably have leakage somewhere else to cause the stuff above that's likely a different problem but not related to the drain.