Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   2000 mitsubishi mirage timing belt (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/2000-mitsubishi-mirage-timing-belt-2192/)

duyduck 09-21-2004 11:14 PM

2000 mitsubishi mirage timing belt

Recently my friend borrowed my car, and the timing belt broke on it. I have all another belt as well as the water pump. I got the Chiltons book, which is like 92-2000 for the mirage, but I dont think it has the right information. I have been having trouble geting the timing marks to be at the right place. I am not sure if I have done it correctly as it does not start yet. I was hoping someone could help me out with some instructions, I would hate to pay a mechanic when I have done most of the work, and all they would do is charge me a few hundred to line up a few marks.

SpyderGS 09-22-2004 12:34 PM

RE: 2000 mitsubishi mirage timing belt

The markings don't line up at all? That's like the worst problem you can encounter when trying install a timing belt. Are the markings on the cam gears pointing up or towards each other? Also, i'm sure that you've already done this, but check and make sure you have the correct timing belt. I know for my car, when i replaced the pulley belts, the part numbers on the new belts totally did not match up with the part numbers on the old belts. They looked like they were the right belts when put side to side with the old belts, but we still took them back and had them double check to make sure they were right. The only advice i can give you(not being in there in person), is double check everything and if worse comes to worse, take it apart and re-install it again. Sorry i can't be of much help, but i hope things work out for you.

olmater 04-24-2010 05:53 AM

03 timing belt

Hi i am a newbie and a diyer, i have a shop manual and today i canged the timing belt on my girls 03 mirage. When i installed the new timing belt i made sure the timing mark on the crackshaft pulley lined up with the one on the block and also the timing mark on the cam shaft pulley lined up with the one on the block. I also made sure No 1 cylinder was on TDC when crankshaft pully was lined up with its timing mark. Next i tensioned the idler pulley, rotated the motor by hand 2 revolutions as the manual said to make sure both marks lined up again. All good no clashing of pistons with valves. Now during replacement i had to remove the starter motor so i could lock the ring gear to remove the crankshaft nut as it is an auto, to get to one of the starter moter bolts i removed the distributer cap. I put everything back together cranked motor over and over no banging of valves and pistons but no spark. If i take distributor cap of i get a spark on the stalk on the right side and if i put the dizzy cap back on i get no spark at the plugs. Do i have a distributor problem ie a tiny part has fallen out of the dizzy when i removed it or could the crank and cam shaft be out by 180 degrees do i need to remove timing belt and rotate the came shaft pulley another 360. My understanding is that as long as no 1 cylinder is at tdc and crank and cam timing marks are aligned the motor should start.
So do i redo timing belt or have i lost a part out of the dizzy when i removed it???? Help or link to a thread on this forum much appreciated:):):):)