Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   2003 Galant AC Water clogged (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/2003-galant-ac-water-clogged-10921/)

FreddieVee 05-27-2006 08:24 PM

2003 Galant AC Water clogged

My daughter just drove the 2 hours North to visit me and my wife here in Florida. When she got here, she told me that she could hear water slogging around under the dashboard and sometimes on turns her AC/heater fan was hitting water when the AirConditioner was running. The front passenger's foot area is soaked. There is a slight drip coming from the car below the driver's seat. I jacked the car up with my hydraulic jack, put horses underneath it and looked around for the evaporator drain line. I can not find it.

Does anyone know how to unclog the evaporator water collection area?

2003 Mitsubishi Galant
4 cylinder
automatic

Any other info needed, please ask.

PS: How many quarts of oil does it take with a filter change?

magnet 05-29-2006 02:50 PM

RE: 2003 Galant AC Water clogged

I dont know the answer to your question, but Im shocked you couldnt see the source of where its coming out at.

FreddieVee 05-29-2006 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: magnet

I dont know the answer to your question, but Im shocked you couldnt see the source of where its coming out at.
The problem is that it is "not coming out", at least not under the car like (I think) it should. I checked the area where the high and low pressure lines go into the firewall and there is no drain-hose or rigid line going to another area. I checked from under the hood and under the car.

magnet 05-29-2006 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: FreddieVee

There is a slight drip coming from the car below the driver's seat.

thats why I said that I was surprised you couldnt see where its coming from. Wish I could be of some help.

FreddieVee 05-29-2006 06:57 PM

It's coming from between two pieces of steel about 1/4 apart. One looks like the belly-pan and the other is a piece just below it. I blew compressed air into the opening, but it didn't help.

Thanks for trying to be helpful. I have seen this problem on quite a few cars before and there was always a drain hose that I cleared with either needle-nose pliers or a scribe with a hooked end. It was usually clogged with lint or carpet fibor.

FreddieVee 06-02-2006 02:59 PM

A mechanic who works at my daughter's closest Mitsubishi dealership told my daughter that it is a $800 job, but he would do it for her on his day off for between $200 and $300.

I couldn't believe those numbers, so I called the closest dealership to my home. The Mr. Goodwrench (joke) there told me that it should be a 1/2 labor, just to remove some panels under the dash and blow out the line. He estimated about $40.

My daughter lives almost 100 miles away and she doesn't want to go to the dealership where that mechanic works, so she will have to drive between 15 to 20 miles to the next dealership.

I will wait to see what that dealership says and actually does before coming to a final conclusion in this matter.