Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

2021 sport O2 sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Default 2021 sport O2 sensor replacement

I have a 2021 Outlander Sport ES with a 2.0 liter engine. I came out of a hotel one morning to find that the catalytic converter had been cut off, along with both oxygen sensors, leaving the cables dangling. I replaced the catalytic converter. I replaced the downstream O2 sensor. But I can't get the front O2 sensor.

First the dealers told me 6 weeks. Now they're saying 6 months or more. There isn't one in the country, they said. Only NTK makes a direct replacement aftermarket and they're permanently out of stock also. No one else sells a replacement for a 2021 Outlander Sport upstream O2 sensor, and I've checked everyone, online and off, even eBay. Some stores list a part as "an exact fit for your 2021 Outlander Sport" but then also have the disclaimer "check the connector and if the connectors do not match, don't install." The connectors never match.

The used parts dealers tell me "We don't sell used O2 sensors. No one does."

The car runs okay. But the check engine light is on. With the light on, I can't get an inspection. Without the inspection, I can't renew the registration.

I know it is a 5-wire sensor with a 6 terminal male connector. The dealer will not tell me the part number, the length of the wire, or the type of sensor. The remaining wire is 36 inches long, so I know the pigtail was at least that long.

So, what are my options?

Bosch sells a universal replacement 5 wire O2 sensor that I can wire into the existing pigtail. But because the chip is calibrated for a certain resistance, the wire has to be cut to the same length, and I don't know how long the wire was before the thieves cut it. The remaining wire is 36 inches. I also need to know if I need a type 1, 2, 3, or 4 oxygen sensor.

Denso sells an aftermarket direct fit replacement for the 2014 to 2018 model years. It costs $525. It is a 5 wire heated sensor and the terminal looks like it will fit. But the pigtail is only 24" long, so I don't know if it will reach.

In both these cases the sensors have 18mm threads. The bung in my exhaust pipe has a 22 mm thread. But I suppose I could replace the bung if it comes to that.

Question, then:
1. Does someone know the part number for the upstream 2021 Outlander Sport ES O2 sensor? This might help in my search.
2. Does someone know the type of sensor and the length of the pigtail?
3. Will the sensor for a 2014 to 2018 model years work?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice I can get.