Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Another one won't start..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Default Another one won't start..

My car won't run for more then 5 sec. When I first noticed it. It would almost seem like the car was flooded. I'd shut the key off and wait a min, then it'd fire right up. It did it maybe 5-10 times. maybe only every 5th time i'd start it. so now it won't run. It's like something just cut's the motor after a few sec. I started with the simple stuff first. Fuel filter, plugs, wire's, cap, rotor, Nothing. Then we thought maybe the timing. We ripped it all apart, and it was perfect.. There is spark. We pulled the gas line off at the fuel rail and there is enough presure that we couldn't hold it back with our thumb. I pulled the ECU out. None of the caps were leaky. It didn't have any bad smell at all. It really looked brand new. I ordered another one anyway. It won't be here for about 4 days but i really think i wasted my money on that too. PLEASE any suggestions? thanks a lot for the time you put in your webpage. any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Another one won't start..

I don't know about evo's but my wifes jeep did that...it was the factory anti-theft system. There was a malfunction that didn't allow it to disarm so it would kill the engine after 5 seconds. I believe it was the chip in the key i think...just a thought. If it came with an anti-theft maybee check it out..

Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 PM

oh, sorry. I forgot to mention it is a 94 Eclipse. 1.8 5spd. no extra's. Thanks for the advice but my car don't have any sort of alarm. I really think it is a sensor. I just don't know where to start checking them or even know what does what.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM

I don't know why I thought you had an evo, lol. Is the CEL on?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 PM

CEL? oh check engine light. nope it hasn't been on at all

Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 PM

With what you've checked, I'm not sure...[&o]

Old 03-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

have you checked the alternator?

Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 PM

no, I thought since it worked fine up till now it shouldn't have been an issue. Actually the altinator is only a year or so old. Could you explain to me your thery behind the altinator tho? It could be, and i'm running out of ideas
Today, I tried testing the computer to see if it was cutting off spart to the plugs. I put a screw driver in the plug wire and let the spark jump. It seemed ok but the spark was orange not blue and it seemed weak. I've seen spark jump more then a inch. I had to move the scredriver about 3/8 of a inch away from the block to even get it to jump...I have no clue where the coil is. Maybe the pickup coil in the distubuter? Ignightion module? I hate electrical problems! Thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 PM

did you do any maintenance/mod work prior to it not starting?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 AM

nope

Quick Reply: Another one won't start..