Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   Battery Question (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/battery-question-29203/)

dsm1990gsx 09-11-2008 03:07 PM

Battery Question

When the car warms up the battery acid inside the battery will start to overheat,bubble and thenstartleaking out of the caps on the top of the battery. I have swap out the battery thinking its the battery but it does the same thing. Its still has all the stock battery tray and all its just weird I never seen this before.

dsm1990gsx 09-11-2008 04:40 PM

RE: Battery Question

Well I am trying a temp fix and hopefully it works, I am putting the battery down on the subframe next to the trans, but if anyone has any ideas shoot them my way.

TheEngineer 09-11-2008 08:10 PM

WTF? i have never heard of it happening due to engine bay heat. Have you checked the voltage going to the battery. You may have something messed in the wiring

dsm1990gsx 09-12-2008 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

WTF? i have never heard of it happening due to engine bay heat. Have you checked the voltage going to the battery. You may have something messed in the wiring
Yeah I know lol, I'll check that but everything electrical seems to work perfect.

ComposeEvo 09-12-2008 07:19 PM

make sure the connectors are working properly, if they are defective, they will cause enough resistance where it reaches boiling temperatures. Thus heating the terminals and boiling the battery acid. If it's not that then it's a connection failure. definitely not engine bay heat. That's damn near impossible.

let us know

Gus

HandyPal 09-14-2008 11:56 AM

The only causes I can think of in regard to your case are the following:

1. Battery voltage on terminals when the engine is running is over 15 Volts. This will cause high charging current and make it boil.
2. One or more of the battery cells gets short when heated up - will cause overcurrent as well and make your battery boil.
See if every cell in the battery is giving off the same amount of bubbling.

In either scenario you have to check all connections related to the charging system, battery terminals, sample acid from each cell of the battery and check density, then add distilled water to top off and/or correct when the battery is fully charged. Try separately charging the battery using charger and see what it is doing.

Those are just baselines for you to figure out the problem.
I hope it's been of help.

dsm1990gsx 09-19-2008 08:17 PM

Well I found the problem the alternator is putting out over 15v at idle and 16.9v at 2k rpms, so yeah that will bake the battery acid lol.

darknigh7th 09-21-2008 07:41 PM

dear god, never heard of that lol.