Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   Check engine light (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/check-engine-light-9180/)

gstTurbo2011 03-19-2006 12:07 PM

Check engine light

Yea..my check engine light is on ..i think its because of the mods i've put on my car..is there away to reset my ecu to change that..thanks...

99 gst turbo

dirtwagon 03-19-2006 08:48 PM

RE: Check engine light

If your CEL is on due to your mods, it'll probably stay on with the mods. What did you modify? You can try to disconnect the ground from your battery for 45 mins-1hour and that should "reset" the computer. There may be a different way to do it, but I have a tinge of red on my neck so that's how I do it.

TheEngineer 03-19-2006 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

If your CEL is on due to your mods, it'll probably stay on with the mods. What did you modify? You can try to disconnect the ground from your battery for 45 mins-1hour and that should "reset" the computer. There may be a different way to do it, but I have a tinge of red on my neck so that's how I do it.
well if the computer is on because of mods thne you just forgot to plug something in. Check around. Or just go to autozone and have the code read. But if you just want to try and clear it then you just unplug the negetive terminal, but you don;t need to do it for an hour. A couple of minutes will do it.

gstTurbo2011 03-20-2006 10:37 PM

if my check engine light is on ..will i fail the emissions check?

Sanguinius 03-20-2006 11:27 PM

Depends on your state... VA doesn't care about the CEL but an airbag light will fail you in a heartbeat...

ictponder 03-21-2006 12:31 AM

Autozone FTW, then do what I did and tell everyone here what code you got.

Sanguinius 03-21-2006 03:09 AM

Yeah go to autozone get the code read write it down and then have them clear the code. Tell us what the code is and we'll tell you how to fix it.

TheEngineer 03-21-2006 09:29 AM

well since you live in boston, MA (sweet right in my back yard ;)) you will definetly fail emmissions so you need to get it fixed. My quess is it will just end up being somethign simple such as a sensor. But if you want to try and pass the emmissions without fixing it then unplug your battery for a couple of minutes in a parking lot near the inspection place. That will clear the code. Then hopefully it wont come back on when its getting done. Try it first on your own and see how long before it comes back on.

slow420a 03-21-2006 05:38 PM

If you have a 99 gst you can pass with out the problem fixed, in late 98 cars and newer they no longer stick the sniffer in the exaust they just hook the car up to a computer and read it like that. Chances are you have a rear o2 sensor code(thats if you removed the cayt) in that case pull up to a parking lot very close to the inspection startion, reset the ecu, and get the car inspected immediatly. It worked with my friends 2003 mazda speed protege.

TheEngineer 03-22-2006 12:33 PM

yup thats exactly what i was saying. It would have worked for my car, had it not failed the emmission test. Everything failed by double the state regs :Dooops