Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Engine smoking some, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Default Engine smoking some, what now?

The '97 GS-T went to the dealer to have the timing belt changed and some sort of oil cleaning done to the motor to stop a click in a lifter and they were to try to figure out why the Check Engine light was on. They spent a whole day and could not figure out what was wrong with the Check Engine and reset the sensor, changed the timing belt and cleaned the inside of the engine and replaced it with new oil. Found out on Saturday, the day the dealer is closed, that the car with only 112,000 miles now smokes when it did not at all before it went to the dealer. My wife picked up the car and they told her that they put some kind of oil additive in the motor after the cleaning. Has anyone else had this done at the dealer and did it smoke upon return, and the Check Engine light, my wife told me that it came on a couple hours after she picked it up. Going to make the call to the dealer on Monday, but wonder if anyone knows anything.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine smoking some, what now?

id go to autozone or something and get the code from the computer yourself. Then come back here and let us know so we can give you an idea of what it might be. Where is the smoke comming from?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 PM

Smoking is coming from the exhaust and the dealer said that if those cars are left to idle to long that the turbo will get some oil in it and start to smoke but after you get going it will clear and be fine. And that does seem to be what happened. As far as the code, is that a OBDII reader. Remember, most cars I work on are '72 or older, no electronics. I wonder if the idling too long and starting to smoke is setting the oxygen sensor off?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

BS. It doesn't matter if you sit still or drive 500MPH (Exageration do NOT try to drive 500 MPH), there should be NO smoke from the car. The dealer is trying to feed you a line of BS so don't buy it. My turbo charged G54B NEVER smokes. I let it sit and run for 15-20 minutes at a time when I'm testing work I've done. I'm going to guess they used a harsh cleaner on the oil system because some rookie hot shyt mechanic thought it would be a good idea (Which it CAN possibly fix the lifters BUT the fact that you have a turbo throws the monkey wrench into the whole idea as the kerosene based cleaners can damage internals). So I'd take it RIGHT back to the dealer tell them THEY made it start smoking and THEY need to make it stop before you have to talk to a lawyer.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

yes its an OBDII you can just go to autozone if you want and they will read the code for free for ya. Then that will give you alittle more of an idea. And the car shouldnt smoke at idle. The turbos are known however to burn oil so they will blow some smoke at shifting. But thats about it.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Not good. I will have the car out for an idle and see if it has stopped. Are all OBDll readers the same? There is a place called Harbor Freight that carries cheap tools, but you usually get what you pay for and they have one on sale.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

should be. I would think they all use the same harness. I would just check it to make sure. The harness in the car should be right under the steering wheel area.