Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

ever heard of this engine problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Default ever heard of this engine problem?

Yesterday my engine started doing something rather bizarre. Regardless of what gear I'm in (5-speed manual transmission), the engine won't rev beyond about 4000 rpm. Once I hit 4k the engine shutters badly and holds that rpm as long as I keep the throttle buried. If I didn't know better I'd say there was a rev limiter. I've never had this happen before, and I've run it to redline on many occasions. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance for your help.
p.s. I don't know if this is related or not, but my speedometer went wacko just before the engine problem appeared. The speedo jumps all over the place and hasn't returned to normal since then.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ever heard of this engine problem?

sounds like the ECU is telling the engine to cut out. It definetly isnt a rev limiter because that higher. I dont know what would go wrong to cause that

Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Definitely electronic.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:54 PM

maybe you should start by telling us WHAT YOU'RE DRIVING.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM

my apologies... 1999 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T 2.0L turbo. I just tried to pull codes from the computer, but there weren't any. Speed sensor???

Old 03-07-2007, 08:41 PM

check for ruptured or disconnected intercooler piping.. Specifically at the top of the intercooler (have seen them break there).

Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 AM

intercooler is intact, along with the tubing

Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM

when you have it in neutral can you rev it past 4k??? if so you aren't producing as much boost when you are in neutral so you should be able to rev it as high as you want if it is a boost leak. let us know if you can do that.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 PM

in neutral it'll rev all the way up. does this mean I have a problem with the turbo's waste gate? how do I find this suspected boost leak? and in the event that I'm not accurately describing the problem, the engine shutters in order to drop back to 4k rmp or to keep it from passing 4k - sometimes it will rev beyond 4k but then the engine does it's wierd thing to come back to 4k.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 PM

battery load tested good. funny thing, though. during my trip to the auto parts store, a few times I could rev as high as I wanted without problem, other times the engine "cut-back" again a 5500rpm and 5k rpm.

Quick Reply: ever heard of this engine problem?