Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   half boost (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/half-boost-2739/)

99clipsgst 12-05-2004 11:33 PM

half boost

the other day I went to go work when I turned my 99 gst on the sevice engine light came on. Then when I started to drive it the booste would only get up to half on the gauge. And I hear a whistling noise. I checked the turbo and It's fine. any help would be good.

96awd 12-05-2004 11:53 PM

RE: half boost

how did you check the turbo? cause thats what it sounds like it is. mine and friends did the same thing.

99clipsgst 12-06-2004 01:08 AM

I took off the intake off and the turbine isn't loose and they move freely but not overly loose. could it be a leaky bov or something?

Spyderman9803 12-06-2004 04:11 AM

sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. checked all lines leading to ur IC piping or the IC piping itself?...I've had problems in the past with a hole somehow mysteriously appearing on my upper piping...

96awd 12-06-2004 06:38 PM

the wheel will spin freely even if the turbgo is gone. take the intake back off and take a pair of pliers grab the end of the wheel by the little nut. and wiggle it in and out if it moves in and out more then just very very little then it has shaft play and is gone. the winning sounds kinda like a old fire truck or something right.

96awd 12-06-2004 06:44 PM

does the car spit and sputter like is out of timming. every time i have had a vacuum leak my car would run like crap. so if its just winning i would check the turbo again, if thats good then do a boost leak test.

SpyderGS 12-06-2004 11:57 PM

I'm with Spyderman on this one. I think it may just be a leak in the system, possibly the intercooler piping or even the intercooler if you're un-lucky enough. You can do a pressure test from the upper IC pipe to the lower IC pipe to be certain. Since the Problem came all at once, then i'd say it's most likely a hole in the system somewhere, or even the BOV. Just gotta try pressure test everything....Spyderman's got it.

Spyderman9803 12-07-2004 04:55 AM

haha work on DSM's long enough and you realize the same stuff happens to all of them.....there is always room for something new though...lol

99clipsgst 12-08-2004 12:40 AM

I took off the intercooler piping ad cleaned it up and wrapped it in to good old Duct tape. It seems to have fixed the problem I get full boost again. But my check engine light says I need an o2 sensor. Only pro is thre are two diffrent ones. anyone know what one wears out more fequently.

Thanks all of you for you help

Spyderman9803 12-08-2004 04:53 AM

go get the codes read....if it says bank 1 then its the one in your oxygen housing on the turbo.....if its bank 2 then its the one in the midpipe...