Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Fuel level sensor......

Old 04-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Default Fuel level sensor......

I have a problem with the gas level sensor found in the gas tank in my 1999 Mitsubishi Carisma. It is located under the rear car seat.

Anyway, I know that the car has 1/4 tank full of gas, and it shows on the gas gauge that is does. Sometimes though, it tends to just stop functioning and it does not read exactly how much gas in the tank. Its not the gas gauge problem.....its from the sensor in the tank. I checked all the electrics, and they are all connected perfectly and no problem with them.

My question is: How can I fix this problem? Can I like take out the sensor and clean it some way or another. I wanted to take it out, but many people told me that I will be soaking the car with gasoline as the tubes with be filled with gas. Is there a way I could take it out without soaking the car's interior with gas?

I really need help fixing this problem as sometimes I can't really tell how much gas is in the car! It makes you very suspicious. I don't want to go out in the car thinking there is gas, and then all of a sudden........... I am "Found On Road Dead"!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Default RE: Fuel level sensor......

This isn't big of a deal to fix. Remove the rear seat when you know there's not a lot of gas in your tank (go by odometer reading after filling a full tank up).Just don't disconnect any hoses if you can or disconnect them in the engine compartment to relief the pressure left in the lines. Spare some rags in the area where you do it, to absorb gas in case of spillage. I'm not sure how it is designed on your car, sometimes on certain cars it is placed on the same armature as the in-tank pump, sometimes separate. get some manual to prepare yourself or ask somebody who has done it. I strongly suspect that you will have to replace the sensor unless you're selling the car and willing to go mikey-mouse way fixing it. It is probably worn and/or heavily oxidized anyways. Make sure you put all gaskets back when assembling. Use some tools that don't create sparks to avoid any fire hazards. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:24 AM

I am not thinking about selling the car at the moment. I was thinking there could be a way I could clean it, maybe because of bad fuel, something has built up on it and does not allow accurate reading.........??

I went and asked for a sensor, and found a guy that has a used one. He wants 400 NIS (New Israeli Shekels) for it, which is about 100 some dollars. After I saw this price for a USED one, I didn't even bother to ask about a new one!

I was hoping I could fix it rather than change it......

thanks for your help

BTW: I was looking at this toyota forum, and they where discussing the same issue. This one person suggested a solution:

Would it work, and does it have to be Chevron, because I don't have access to it where I live. Can I use some other kind of Fuel Injector/Cleaner? And if I attempt to take out the Fuel level sensor, can I use some kind of cleaner and soak it, as to clean it?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

There is a fuel tank additive which cleans the fuel level card. Try that before replacing the sending unit.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 AM

Does the tank have to be full?

Could you please give me an example of this fuel tank additive, or is it just something special that does this certain thing?

I sort of live in a country that does not have that good enough technology or resources to export or import any goods, so it may be impossible to find what you mentioned above!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I work at a dealer and we use Techron fuel system cleaner, its abt $15.00 for a bottle. Its a detergent that cleans the sulfur of the fuel card. Look on ebay for it or search yahoo.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 AM

OK,

Today I attempted to take it out the Fuel level sensor. In my car, and in most cars, it is located on the rear car seat. Keep in mind though, that there are some cars that do not allow you access to this sensor from the top....In that case, you have to take down the fuel tank.

The fuel sensor I am talking about is the conventional needle type one. Most modern cars these days have an LCD display of the amount of fuel in tank.

You should turn the car on, and then pull out the plug located on the car fuel level sensor. For some cars, there is a fuse or a relay for the fuel, in that case, you would turn that car on and then unplug the fuse or relay. The car would stay on for a couple of seconds, and then the motor would slowly turn off. Through this attempt, you are releasing the fuel pressure in the fuel pipes. (Shown in pictures below)

[align=center]
[/align] [align=center]The fuel level sensor is located under this black metal cover
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]The fuel level sensor, located under the cover
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]Close up of the fuel level sensor, showing all the wires and pipes
[/align]
On top of this sensor, there are two small rubber pipes attached. One is for fuel coming in, and one for fuel coming out of the tank.

In the picture above, you can see a black frame surrounding the fuel level sensor. This frame is the one that is firmly holding down the sensor. You need to unscrew it, by simply turning it anti-clockwise, in order to take out the sensor.

Today's fuel contains many sulfur contents that may cause the sensor to give inaccurate readings. In order to clean the part of the sensor that gives the reading (Note: known as fuel level sending unit), you need to spray that part of the sensor with some sort of cleaner (e.g: WD-40). To get best results, you could use a small tooth brush to rub the solvent and remove any rust.

You may not find this problem in your car, but there is a wire connected from the part of the sensor that gives the reading (mentioned above), to the to top of the sensor. This sends the reading through the plug that we removed earlier, to the gas gauge located in your dashboard. This wire was worn out, so I personally cut this wire out (which is possibly 4 cm long), and molded a new wire in place.

After you finish all of the mentioned above, you need to return the sensor to its place. You simply place the sensor back in the tank the same way you got it out, and then screw back the black plastic frame. Return the plug and put the pipes back in their place.

This should do the job! Its not a tough one, but you are dealing with a very sensitive part of the car, so be careful.

mankoosho

Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Default Fixed!

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
There is a fuel tank additive which cleans the fuel level card. Try that before replacing the sending unit.
This just worked for my '99 Colt - 4g92. Saved me $75 USD on a second hand fuel sending unit and installation! Added an injector cleaner to an almost full tank of gasoline and it came right back on for good, even when I switch off the engine it remains on! Thank you, SIR!