Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

2002 Montero Sport 3.5 oil smoke after idling for a few minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Default 2002 Montero Sport 3.5 oil smoke after idling for a few minutes

Hey everybody, new to the Mitsubishi forums but use several others and have always had good experiences with them. So here goes...

Just bought an 02 Montero Sport with just over 133,000 miles. Car runs good, smooth idle. Shifts good. I always do some diagnostic checks when I get a car and here is what I found on this one. After idling for a little while, (5 minutes or so) when I rev it up it is blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. For sure oil smoke as it doesn't dissipate but hangs in the air. The longer it idles, the more it smokes. First thought was that it looked like valve seals. But that just doesn't jibe with all the stuff I read about the durability of these motors so here I am. I checked the pcv valve and it is opening and closing properly. I did notice the temp creeping up on the gauge but it never went above 207 on my scanner. Coolant is clean and looks new. Oil is a little low and it has a leak, not too bad. I'm guessing , and plan to check the rear cam seals tomorrow. Thought to do a compression test but really don't want to have to pull the entire intake off to do that so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you guys thought could be the culprit before I tear down the top end jus tto do a compression test. Hard to believe a Japanese motor would have valve seals go bad after only 133,000 miles. I do know the car sat in storage for several months prior to being sold, and was infrequently driven prior to that as it was only a backup car.
Also. It had a p0300 random misfire code confirmed and one pending, though the service engine soon light was not illuminated. And yes, the check engine light does light up when the key is on prior to starting.
Any advice is appreciated