Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   No spark 91 Eclipse GS 1.8 (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/no-spark-91-eclipse-gs-1-8-a-3287/)

dsagal79 02-22-2005 08:48 PM

RE: No spark 91 Eclipse GS 1.8

Ok, I got a new distributor because the other one was bad (thanks for the tips oh how to test!) I have installed it and I am still getting no spark?? I checked the timing and it seems right however when I attempt to start the car now I get a beep code. Basically it is nine short beeps after the car does not start. There is also a dummy light on now and I don't know what it is ECM warning mabey???

96awd 02-22-2005 10:00 PM

if all you are getting is short pulses then there is no prob with the ecu. did you check the cam sensor.

1398spdr 02-22-2005 10:49 PM

stupid question, hows the battery...........

dsagal79 02-23-2005 02:48 AM

According to the service manual that I have this my car isn't supposed to have a cam sensor...... but I have seen them be wrong before. Where would the cam sensor be if this car should have one? How can I test it once I have found it? Why would putting in a good distributor cause this error to happen when the bad one didn't?

I have a jumper battery that I use to attempt to start the car for the time being. I can turn on the headlights and it still turns over very strong.

Dans Talon 02-23-2005 09:58 AM

I think the cam sensor is located mounted to the distributor. That square box mounted to the side of the distributor housing with a 2 pin plug ??? ( I think :eek:)

Lemme look this up after work tonite when I get home.

Also, being an electronic sensor, there is prolly a check (?)

There is also a 'general' kind of check for the ECM that I could give you.

DT

Dans Talon 02-23-2005 09:47 PM

The camshaft and crankshaft sensors are located inside the distributor. So they were replaced with the distributor.

The ECM supplies the signal to turn the exciter transistor on, so maybe the next thing to check is the ECM ?

One simple test is to:

1.) Take the throttle position sensor plug off

2.) Turn on the ignition

3.) Check the voltage on pin 1 of the this plug.

This should read 5 volts. This is a regulated supply and usually if there is a problem with the ECM then it is usually the power supply, so this easy check confirms that the ECM power supply is OK.
A reading of less than 5v (maybe 3V or less, or no) is bad ; and also a high reading of like 12V also is bad (indicating battery source is present with no regulation happening). This same 5 volt supply originates in the ECM and goes to all the sensors, if it is bad there is a cheap easy fix.

DT

dsagal79 02-24-2005 10:16 PM

The beep codes changed on me for some reason tonight. The first time I tried to start the car tonight I got five short beeps. I shut it off and tried again and got one long beep (first time it ever happened) so I tried again and then I got 7 short beeps, tried again and got 8 short beeps, then tried again and got 9 short beeps, then tried again and got one long beep. It seems wierd that it isn't a consistant pattern. Anyone know what I should check?

dsagal79 02-25-2005 04:22 PM

Ok, I will try and check the ECM tonight. I was checking over the timing again and when the #1 piston is on TDC on the compression strok and I look at the timing mark on the pully it is past the timing positions that are available. I didn't replace the timing belt on this car but some one did before I got it. Could this indicate that they installed it a tooth off? Where should the mark on the pully reside when the #1 piston is on TDC?

dsagal79 05-10-2005 12:29 AM

Pulled the ECM and found that a capacitor on the board had leaked out and caused a short. Ordering a new one from ebay but I am going to need some wiring harnesses. Mainly the harness from the ECM to the distributor and one to the injectors. Any suggestions on where to find the harnesses I need? I have already tried local salvage yards and haven't had any luck.