Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outlander 2013 Roof Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Default Outlander 2013 Roof Rattle

My Outlander has a really irritating rattle from behind the fron interior light. Mitsubishi has issued a technical note about it (calling it a roof rattle rather than an interior light rattle) but after 3 attempts by 2 dealers if still rattles. I'm happy to have a go myself but can anyone advise me how the interior light is fastened in please? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:53 PM

Did Mitsubishi send you something? I, too, have a 2013, and haven't received anything (nor have I noticed this problem.)
Since I didn't get anything - yours must be either a GT, or an ES, or a sport? (Mine is a SE.) Let me know - thanks.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:27 AM

Mine is a GX5. When the rattle first started I called the garage I bought it from, about 120mls away, and they said it was a known problem and that Mitsubishi had issued the technical note on it. This apparently says that 2 bolts needed torquing up. This does not make sense but I told my local garage about it and that's what they did. The rattle went away but started again after a couple of weeks. After 2 more attempts it is still rattling. Mitsubishi, as far as I am aware, have sent nothing to owners. If you search the web you will find some Outlanders have this problem. The interior light/sunroof control panel looks expensive so I want to remove it properly rather than damage it or the headlining.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM

You must be outside of the USA since I haven't heard of this trim level.
You mention a sunroof panel - which mine doesn't have - so that explains why I don't have this issue.
Is yours a diesel? If so this may be related or not: I had an old diesel work truck, and bolts/nuts were constantly coming loose (in the engine) from all the heavy vibration. (It had the same engine as a Humvee.)
ARE the bolts coming loose? If so - use a little glue, or a self securing nut which doesn't come loose.
Good luck!

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 PM

Yes, I'm in the UK and the car is a diesel. Good idea, you might be right about the vibes shaking the nuts loose. Once I work out how to get in there we'll find out!

Old 07-16-2018, 04:49 AM
Default Roof rattle

Originally Posted by jonno77
Yes, I'm in the UK and the car is a diesel. Good idea, you might be right about the vibes shaking the nuts loose. Once I work out how to get in there we'll find out!
Hi just wondering did you ever get a fix for your roof rattle thanks

Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Default Roof Rattle

The rattle is a seasonal thing, worse in the summertime and quiet in winter, and probably less of a problem than it was, so I've not sorted it (yet). I'm 95% sure that it's the interior front light cluster. - if I press the outer edge of this upwards, the rattle disappears. The 2 interior lights are also dodgy, working and not working as they feel fit. Regarding getting the cluster out, I found an identical unit for sale on eBay, with a photo. On this, I can see that the cluster is held in by a set of 2 clips (right next to each other) about 1/5 of the way in from each rear corner of the cluster - so there are 4 clips in all. These clips are a bit like an inverted V shape, so pushing something like 2 wallpaper scrapers in should let you lower the cluster. That's my thoughts anyway! I must get the job done!!!!

Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 AM

The rattle is a seasonal thing, worse in the summertime and quiet in winter, and probably less of a problem than it was, so I've not sorted it (yet). I'm 95% sure that it's the interior front light cluster. - if I press the outer edge of this upwards, the rattle disappears. The 2 interior lights are also dodgy, working and not working as they feel fit. Regarding getting the cluster out, I found an identical unit for sale on eBay, with a photo. On this, I can see that the cluster is held in by a set of 2 clips (right next to each other) about 1/5 of the way in from each rear corner of the cluster - so there are 4 clips in all. These clips are a bit like an inverted V shape, so pushing something like 2 wallpaper scrapers in should let you lower the cluster. That's my thoughts anyway! I must get the job done!!!!

Thanks for the reply I took down the light cluster and tried different insulation tape etc but nothing seemed to work today I located 2 bolts attached to the roof and gave them a tightening and that seems to have worked fingers crossed

Thanks again

Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Well done! So it looks like the Mitsubishi solution is correct - I'll actually get my backside moving and tweak the bolts up a bit. Thanks for getting back with your post. Cheers.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Well done! So it looks like the Mitsubishi solution is correct - I'll actually get my backside moving and tweak the bolts up a bit. Thanks for getting back with your post. Cheers.
Ya I’m useless at this kind of thing but it was actually very easy to do good luck

Quick Reply: Outlander 2013 Roof Rattle