Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission replacement or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Default Transmission replacement or rebuild?

Hi everyone. So about 2 months ago I bought a 2010 outlander 2.4L engine with 165k miles. It runs perfect and no issues.

About a few weeks after, I took the car for a 3 hour roadtrip. On the 2nd hour of the trip, at a stoplight, I tried to accelerate but the car didnt move. The check engine light came on. I tried to step on the gas pedal all the way down and then 2 to 3 seconds later, it moved and jerked forward. There was noticeable loss of power when the car is moving. It was a pain getting the car to move from a stop. Sometimes I would turn the engine off then turn back on and it would run great again.

I scanned the car and the code P0868 showed up which indicated low transsmision fluid pressure. So I bought the genuine Diaqueen CVT fluid for it and changed the fluid.

Problem still showed and i figured it was time to bring it to the dealership. They said I might need a new transmission and would cost $7000 for it.

I was planning to just buy a used transmission and have it replaced at a local tranny shop to save money. But then I was told by the dealership that it wouldnt work because the transmission has to match the VIN of my car, otherwise it wouldnt be able to be programmed with the computer and errors will still happen. Not sure if they are just trying to get my business or if it's really true.

I also considered to have a transmission rebuild done instead if thats the case.

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

As of now, i am still using the car but not for any trips thats over an hour because thats when the issue usually happens. It drives perfect if the issue doesnt occur though.