Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter?¿

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Default torque converter?¿

I have a 99 eclipse spyder (auto) that started sliping about 2 weeks ago but only when I got on it at first then about a week later the sevice engine soon light came on then about a block later I had no gears at all does this sound like I blew the tranny or just the torque converter? thanks for the help

Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Default RE: torque converter?¿

Check your fluid for any signs of metal flakes. Get a code reader so that you can further troubleshoot IMO. For all you and I know is that the TCM is shot and not allowing solenoid to engage/disengage. But from what I've read, then yes, it sounds like the TC is dead. We need more info though, like your mods, when was the last time you changed/had changed the tranny fluid, and so forth...so, yeah, more info please.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:26 AM

No mods have been put on the car I was waiting for winter to hit so I wouldnt feel bad putting the convertable away... but no the tranny was flushed not 4 months ago the fluid still smells ands looks good never had a problem with the tranny before hand but if it was a tcm problem why didnt it go out all of a sudden why did it start to slip then nothing I just want the car back on the road if the tc fixes it I would be happy but if the tranny needs rebuilt then I dont want to buy a tc put it all back together then just end up takeing it all back apart thanks again for the help...

Old 12-04-2006, 06:21 AM

Well, there's not really much to an auto tranny...that's relative of course. I see two parts, the TC, then the gears. The way I see it, if you don't see little sparkly things in the tranny fluid, the gears are most likely good but the TC is bad because it's not allowing the fluid to flow through the turbine blades, thus allowing the car to move, well, it really allows the gears to be "connected" to the flywheel.
Here's a cool site that explains the auto transmission stuff much better than I can.
Here's a cool site that explains the TC much better than I can.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Is it a AWD. because if not then you dont even have a Transfer Case

Old 12-04-2006, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Is it a AWD. because if not then you dont even have a Transfer Case
Lol, TE, he's got a Spyder and there was no mention of a T-case, lol. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done a AWD swap of the drivetrain or motor, lol. ....just saying bro

Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

oh man you guys are confusing me. I was reading the whole thread but i didnt read the heading so the whole time im thinking your saying TC meaning transfer case. Which is usually how youd label it as. Im just gonna shut up not [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM

I just thought it was funny bro, lol.
That's also why I call the transfer case a "t-case" or "xfer case" instead of "tc" because most folks call the torque converter online a tc. I can see the confusion though....still funny