Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Everything else (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/)
-   -   Used eclipse gt foam in oil *HELP* (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/everything-else-37/used-eclipse-gt-foam-oil-%2Ahelp%2A-41646/)

hypno89 02-09-2012 10:46 AM

Used eclipse gt foam in oil *HELP*

I got this Mitsubishi eclipse gt 2004 like a week ago put about 150 miles on it and went to change the oil and it was fine till the end when it came out this brown foam.I do not know the last time it was changed and what with also don't know if they put any additive in the oil to clean it out . Usually a foam in the oil means head gaskets but thats usually turns the oil milky the oil is a dark brown and doesn't smell like antifreeze.I got pictures just gotta find out how to upload them.

hypno89 02-09-2012 10:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 6052

Attachment 6053

Attachment 6054

Anything helps guys hoping it was just crap oil or hasn't been changed or something.

hypno89 02-09-2012 12:05 PM

It reminds me of a good lager dark beer with a brown foam top.

mr galantness 02-13-2012 08:09 AM

Im not an expert but im thinking water. Id pressure test (or whatever you call it hehe) your cooling system to be sure. I don't know how to do it, but if I wanted to figure it out I'd check youtube. At least you could rule it out. Why did you change the oil so soon?

If the coolant system is intact then I'd just seafoam the crankcase real good. I run seafoam in mine and always will. Hehe theirs lots of debates on seafoam but from what I understand you can run it all the day long and it doesn't matter. Just a good lubricating solvent. I'm nervous about using it through vacuum hoses though. I've used close to nearly a bottle but probably much safer to just do 1/3 of a bottle at a time.

Josh45 02-13-2012 11:28 AM

How was your Temp doing before you changed the oil? No problems? No over heating?
I want to say to get the heads checked. You could have a blown head gasket and nothing more. That brown color usually means water is mixing in with the oil. Probably cost you about $100-200 bucks just to get it checked out and serviced just in case.

hypno89 02-14-2012 11:47 PM

Never overheated and after the foam faded oil is black no signs of water.

Eclipsed 02-15-2012 11:46 AM

this may be a long shot but did you measure how much oil you got out of the engine?
the oil in your photo looks somewhat aerated, maybe whipped up by the crankshaft.which can happen when overfilled. like i mentioned,its a longshot but how was your oil psi before? how is it now?

hypno89 02-20-2012 09:34 PM

can't check psi and the oil now looks normal dark no foam so I'm thinking aerated also.Now I'm getting the check engine code warm catalyst below thresh hold bank 2 already replaced 1 oxygen sensor gonna check the other one and maybe the cat.