Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/exterior-22/)
-   -   I hope I am not a RICE...need some feedback (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/exterior-22/i-hope-i-am-not-rice-need-some-feedback-42939/)

Marined123 08-28-2012 05:49 PM

I hope I am not a RICE...need some feedback

Hello all
I am not in with the up to date with the lingo. But while researching some newer innovated boost options I came across the debate between a so called ricer and a tuner.
I see that the ricer has a very negative and “stupid” reputation attached to it. Now I have always called performance and show cars either: muscle cars vs import vs luxury.
Well after buying my car and making it look the way I want it, putting extra power to it I see that this so called ricer meets my cars looks?! I have had many random compliments on the car and I myself like it. But according to the net it’s a “ridiculous-waste of car” so I am curious as if this is sarcasm or legit. Just out of curiosity I am uploading pics to get some feedback from actual people involved with this forum.
Before leaving critique please read below for a background:
I have learned how to drift from my Sgt in the Marine Corps and instantly fell in love with the automotive circle. I had bought a 2001 white twin t-bo Saleen from him after he EAS’d. I still have it and am putting a new tran into it…
About 2 months later I bought a GT (b/c I want to get my first import car experience in my young days)
I do have the following in it:
A stage 2 clutch
Injen exhaust
A CAI
Custom Turbo kit
Perf chip
Suspension upgrade
sloted brakes
headers
Ect
(and yes I have every part for every sticker I have minus the Hankooks which I only switch out when I race)
Keep in mind I DO rally at the local track and drift (yeah its FWD but id rather ebrake and inertia drift than kill my RWD mustang) anyway I do have a wing but I legitimately use it to help stabilize my turns.
I know this is considered a ricer according to some definitions but it does have an EQUIL amount of power balanced with the looks. So how does owning something that I made look the way I WANT it to look make me some punk kid who wants to puff his chest out?

Input appreciated (rice but nice, blah, poopfarts, screw rice that’s sushi)

I will include some clips

Marined123 08-28-2012 06:12 PM

pics

5 Attachment(s)
please use this for reference

firebuck 08-28-2012 07:32 PM

I t is probably going to be classified as rice. Just because of the big wing on a fwd and because of the large decals. But I grew up in the late 80's and like rice and at least it is clean looking. I do not like the chrome on the hood but I don't like chrome anyways. If you like it...go for it and have fun. I like silver Christmas trees and would love to have a manequin of Elvis dressed as Santa at Christmas but my wife won't let me. I do have a full size Darth Vader cut out with a Santa Hat for Halloween though.
Bottom line do what you want and have fun.

Marined123 08-28-2012 09:03 PM

thanks

so
eventhough I legit race it and inertia drift its still considered rice if it has those things?

firebuck 08-28-2012 09:37 PM

It is really a personal opinion. There is no set list of things that make something rice. It is more of a style type thing. Typically rice consists of "blingy, less useful pseusdo-performance" modifications. Large stickers are "usually" ricey but not always. Large park bench wings on front wheel drive usually ricey. Performance "chips" not always great. BUT suspension, turbo, brakes all great modifications. The definition of rice varies from person to person. Are the vehicles in the fast and the furious ALL rice. I don't think so but some people do. I would not call it too ricey. The decals in my opinion are a bit big and the chrome on the hood not to my taste but that is all personal. My preference is more sleeper looking or totally over the top. I do like the look and think it is cool that you actually use the mods. If you like it keep it, do I think its a little ricey..yes but I do like it.