Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/exterior-22/)
-   -   ram air headlight 2g eclipse??? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/exterior-22/ram-air-headlight-2g-eclipse-17015/)

xplicitdesigns07 03-03-2007 08:14 PM

ram air headlight 2g eclipse???

anyone on here seen a headlight for the 2g eclipses that has a hole in the passanger side for ram air?

silvercoupe97 03-03-2007 11:10 PM

RE: ram air headlight 2g eclipse???

I've seen folks gut the passenger side highbeams and modify it to look appealing or remove the entire assembly before a race, but never one that's been mass produced.
There's a bunch of other options to RAM air for the turbo btw. If you have an FMIC, you can add a duct to the air scoop on the fascia to go up towards the filter like my buddy did. Anyway, there's a few options for pushing cooler air to the filter without making the car look retarded :D

Dusty Eclipse 03-04-2007 01:45 AM

Whats a typical power increase from the addition of a "ram air" type intake?

silvercoupe97 03-04-2007 02:52 AM

I don't know about a "typical" increase in HP, but you can imagine having 110 degree intake temps plus the turbo heating it up a bit more....let me throw some random numbers at you....110F intake temp + 50F turbo temps = ....where as if you had a RAM you can lower the intake temps down to 70-90 (depending on ambient temps) and then add the 50F from the turbo. You can see how the combustion chamber air will be cooler with one than without, thus reducing knock = pulled timing = lower performance.

I used to have 110F temps out here in Hawaii during the summer, I fabbed a partition and my intake temps dropped 20F. My bubby did the same thing and added some ducting from the opening I stated above and he sees ambient temps at idle and temps below the surrounding air's temp while driving. Without the ducting I see 10F above him. He didn't use huge ducting either, just your run of the mill black clothes dryer ducting.
The cool thing is that you don't even know the duct is there unless you bend down and let your eyes adjust to the darker background.

davidmitsusrock 03-04-2007 03:02 AM

PFFFT! ran air headlight? **** just mount your turbo in place of the headlight if you want air lol...ive seen it done.

RCJr9186 03-05-2007 03:18 PM

honestly... it won't make that much difference either way... it's the same principal as a cold air intake on a turbo car. you are taking this air and shoving it into exhaust gas which is scorching... the temp differnce it to small to measure and won't help your performance either way. the IC is the biggest factor when it comes to air temps. than and water/methanol injections and an intercooler spray kit.

Dusty Eclipse 03-13-2007 01:32 PM

So lets say, how much would this quasi-'ram air' improve upon a N/A car? Such as the 6G72 in my 3g Eccy?

50ul }{4ck3r 03-13-2007 01:34 PM

why would you want this for a street car...lol...just stupid if you ask me

Dusty Eclipse 03-13-2007 01:39 PM

I dunno... something diff. I suppose... out of the ordinary. I prolly wouldnt ever get around to it unless I was reallllllllyyyy bored... and or drunk

50ul }{4ck3r 03-13-2007 01:42 PM

lol....i love my 2nd Gen...thats one nice looking car....all stock body...stock tails....stock side skirts.....ALL STOCK on the visual but under the hood all upgraded