1990 Montero NO START HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rob.allee
Akzle- But with no or too low compression it wouldn't even start. What I really want is a rebuilt or crate engine. I'm pushing 300,000 miles.
Someone on 4X4wire trail talk said failed power transistor to the coil. although when I tested the coil is was 12v-13v. I'm going to test it, but I have my doubts.
R.
Actually you'd be surprised how little compression is required to have an engine run.

Not run well mind you but run none the less. I've seen a 4 cylinder with 80 PSI on two cylinders running.

Anyway, I'm thinking the first thing you need to do is read your plugs. You may think it's a fuel leak but if it's the opposite, it would also cause a hard start. Too much gas will give a very similar problem where it won't start until the excess is pushed out. You replaced everything in the fuel system except injectors now which would also give you a lack of fuel system pressure on startup after sitting if they leaked.

How does she start after she's been running? I.E. you start her up, run to 7/11 go in grab a paper and a pop and go back out is she hard starting again or does she fire right up?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:05 PM

She fires right up after i get she started. I can drive all day plus with many stops in between. No black smoke either, which is an indication if burning too much fuel right?
Its after she sits for 2+ hrs it takes 2 cranks, 4 hrs 5-6 cranks, over night, I end up killing the battery trying to start it. But I quit doing that 2 weeks ago. I have a Mobile Mechanic (ASE Certified) coming over to run tests that I can't to determine what the F is wrong with my baby (tired of wifes cherokee, lol, besides she wants her car back)

Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM

So the mechanic thinks it was the battery and the ignition control module. Replaced both, still nothing. Maybe its the ECU, and or the relay?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

It has coil packs right? Is that what you replaced when you mention the ignition module? Have you changed your oil? Did you go with a thicker or thinner oil when you did? I'm just bouncing ideas at the moment I'll have to think on this one a bit. It's not giving a CEL at all right?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM

No, I haven't changed the oil. But to update, since I've been working 7 days a week, its my distributor, or actually my crankshaft sensor that went out. But it's built into the distributor. And since I have 5 birthdays in July (family) , no $ till August to replace it. Can't wait to be able to drive it again.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ah ok so it DOES have a dizy not separate coil packs (I'm not really familiar with the engine in your specific vehicle). You may want to check some loocal junkyard places. A dizzy is rather pricey especially if it include the sensor. Junkyards will usually have them for a LOT less. It'll at least get you up and going quicker. Also make sure to mark things (pics if it helps) so that you get them 100% back in the position they were in when you took the old one off.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm going to leave this to the pro's and I'd rather have a new distributor. Besides, it would cost more if "I" screw it up. At this pace, I should have an almost new rig by 2016.
As for the junk yards, no monteros that I can use.
thanks, Rob