Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Mitsubishi Chat (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/)
-   -   1999 Galant sparkplugs (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/general-mitsubishi-chat-5/1999-galant-sparkplugs-7968/)

jameswebb 01-30-2006 03:11 PM

1999 Galant sparkplugs

I have a 1999 galant and looking to change the sparks plugs or trying to learn how.
Can someone tell me where they are and how to change them please.
I am house minded and want to learn about cars now
I appreciate the help

NESpeed 01-30-2006 03:21 PM

RE: 1999 Galant sparkplugs

Go with a hotter plug to lean it out. I don't know what exact plug...sorry, just asked the parts store, say you want a hotter plug. Some times they know sometimes they don't depends on the counter help. You need a spark plug socket, extension. I don't know if your motor is over head plug or side angled. Either or just trace the plug wires. Don't loose track on with plug wire goes where. Good luck.

DryBear 01-30-2006 04:27 PM

Why should he want to lean it out/run a hotter plug?

Anyway, what type of engine do you have? I4 or V6? How many miles on your car? Just go with the recommended plugs as listed in the back of the owners manual. You can usually pick them up at most auto stores, or try http://www.sparkplugs.com

Check out the Haynes manual for the Galant - not the best one out there, as there are lots of typos and errors (it mentions rear differentials when our car is FWD) but its better than nothing. Even better, do a search for the Digital version of the Mitsu Galant service manual.

NESpeed 01-30-2006 07:15 PM

My mistake I miss read his post, my bad. On the other hand why don't you explain to me master tech why a hotter plug doesn't lean the car out?

DryBear 01-31-2006 01:16 AM

My point was, the guy just wants to change his plugs - why complicate things by trying to switch to a more hot/cold plug. He's not trying to boost his engine, just change plugs. The stock range should be sufficient. Besides, Air/Fuel ratios are not controlled by the spark plug type, but the ECU (along with any piggyback device if present). Putting in a hotter plug than stock would cause pre-igintion and possible damage to the engine.

NESpeed 01-31-2006 02:10 AM

Well if you read my post then you would understand. How do you figure that a 1 to 2 range hotter plug would damage a engine. Obviously you have never dealt with building your own turbo kit, or nitrous before or even tuned your own car.....ever heard of timing....think about. But what ever you say:eek:

EMonz57 01-31-2006 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: NESpeed

Well if you read my post then you would understand. How do you figure that a 1 to 2 range hotter plug would damage a engine. Obviously you have never dealt with building your own turbo kit, or nitrous before or even tuned your own car.....ever heard of timing....think about. But what ever you say:eek:
he got the tearstone tearstone lol. great kit makes life easy ya know.

TheEngineer 01-31-2006 02:38 PM

i'm not trying to be a expert and i don't even know that this is correct but don't hotter plugs require more fuel to keep them cool? I thought i read that in that article emonz posted?

NESpeed 01-31-2006 04:43 PM

JOHN SHUT UP[:@]What does that have to do with how a hotter plug makes a car burn leaner.

EMonz57 01-31-2006 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: NESpeed

JOHN SHUT UP[:@]
:eek: oh god LOL

DryBear 02-01-2006 02:28 AM

Lol, No, I've never built a turbo kit, I bought one and slapped it on. If I am wrong on something, then I will gladly correct my fault. Sure, I could learn a few things more, and I never claimed to be an expert in anything, but my main point was why were you telling him to get a different heat range than stock in the first place? He didn't say he was having problems, just wanted to change plugs.

EMonz57 02-01-2006 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: DryBear

Lol, No, I've never built a turbo kit, I bought one and slapped it on. If I am wrong on something, then I will gladly correct my fault. Sure, I could learn a few things more, and I never claimed to be an expert in anything, but my main point was why were you telling him to get a different heat range than stock in the first place? He didn't say he was having problems, just wanted to change plugs.

well he did say ...

My mistake I miss read his post
so my guess is he had the wrong idea of the question that was at hand in the origanal post ya know

DryBear 02-01-2006 03:05 PM

True, but he sounded real defensive when he came back with:

On the other hand why don't you explain to me master tech why a hotter plug doesn't lean the car out?
Oh, well, I hope the original poster got the help that he needed. :D

EMonz57 02-01-2006 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: DryBear

True, but he sounded real defensive when he came back with:

On the other hand why don't you explain to me master tech why a hotter plug doesn't lean the car out?
Oh, well, I hope the original poster got the help that he needed. :D
I hope so ;) im not sure he ever even came back to look

NESpeed 02-01-2006 03:15 PM

Because I am sick of people like your self coming on and giving miss information. You can and most people that know a thing or two will put a 1 to 2 range hotter plug in a N/A motor. That combined with a few other mods can help you gain some power. Like I said I miss read his post and thought he was looking how to lean put his car alittle.

DryBear 02-02-2006 08:41 PM

How was I giving mis-information by telling him to "go with the recommended plugs as listed in the back of the owners manual"? Okay, you misread his post, but it sounded like you got butt-hurt or something by my question of "Why should he want to lean it out/run a hotter plug?" which was not meant as a stab at you. I mean really, some people can get touchy.

Yes, I haven't heard about putting in a hotter plug to gain power - do you have any sources that I can check out? I'm not trying to discredit you as you were apparently trying to discredit me :eek:, so please, educate us.

NESpeed 02-02-2006 11:57 PM

Your miss information was saying the only way to lean out a car was

"Air/Fuel ratios are not controlled by the spark plug type, but the ECU (along with any piggyback device if present). Putting in a hotter plug than stock would cause pre-ignition and possible damage to the engine."
What is your source there??? Lets make a list of what else will lean out a car.

Air Intake
Exhaust
Adjusting Timing
Changing you plugs

Those are just the basics. How a hotter plug changes the AFR....A hotter plug burns hotter which ends up burning more fuel in the combustion chamber. That gives you a leaner burn. Hence is why forced induction motors call for colder plugs. Reduce the heat and chance to pre ignite, that will give you a richer burn. This is just regular practice among tuners/hott rodders, which is seems to me you have NO background in. If this isn't enough for you then thats just your own ignorance.

NESpeed 02-03-2006 12:02 AM

That concludes NewEnglandSpeeds Basic Tuning 101

DryBear Im not trying to discredit you, just to help you out and other.

DryBear 02-03-2006 03:17 AM

Lets make a list of what else will lean out a car.

Air Intake
Exhaust
Adjusting Timing
Changing you plugs

Those are just the basics. How a hotter plug changes the AFR....A hotter plug burns hotter which ends up burning more fuel in the combustion chamber. That gives you a leaner burn. Hence is why forced induction motors call for colder plugs. Reduce the heat and chance to pre ignite, that will give you a richer burn. This is just regular practice among tuners/hott rodders, which is seems to me you have NO background in. If this isn't enough for you then thats just your own ignorance.
You are correct, I have no hot rodding background, just basic mechanical knowledge. My original statements were what I thought to be correct, from general research, but I know I have a lot more to learn. your last response above was the kind of response I was looking for in the first place. However, I still stand by my original feeling that I wasn't steering the original poster wrong by recommending standard plugs ;)

NESpeed 02-03-2006 11:50 AM

I never ment that point was off. Ok then its settled;)